• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6T Torque Converter Problem

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Pulled the converter housing back out of the machine this morning. Flywheel has a place for the sun gear carrier plate to engage the internal teeth plus it has the retaining ring land. There is also a place for a pilot bearing and a retainer ring. The parts are ordered and supposed to be here tomorrow morning. I looked the engine over for some kind of ID tag and found nothing. The DPF and associated furnace sitting on top of the engine covers the valve covers of the engine completely if there is a tag there. The sides of the block have nothing on them either.

John C.

Occupation
I'm going to try fit the gear and pilot bearing in the morning when I have them in my hands. If they work I'll install the converter in the morning. If they don't work I'll do what I can to get the numbers.

Thanks

nicky 68a

Very interesting thread this.Am I right in thinking that this engine has just been replaced by previous fitters and bits have been forgotten that should be in the torque????? Surely I’m reading this wrong?
Is it an export job to the moon or some other far off job.Eitherway it’s landed you with a bald spot where you’re scratching your head and I find it incredulous.
Good luck with it all John C,seems like you need it:)

Bluox

Pulled the converter housing back out of the machine this morning. Flywheel has a place for the sun gear carrier plate to engage the internal teeth plus it has the retaining ring land. There is also a place for a pilot bearing and a retainer ring. The parts are ordered and supposed to be here tomorrow morning. I looked the engine over for some kind of ID tag and found nothing. The DPF and associated furnace sitting on top of the engine covers the valve covers of the engine completely if there is a tag there. The sides of the block have nothing on them either.
Do this have the 3 springs between the flywheel and the sun gear drive plate like the older torque dividers do ?
Bob

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Very interesting thread this.Am I right in thinking that this engine has just been replaced by previous fitters and bits have been forgotten that should be in the torque????? Surely I’m reading this wrong?
Is it an export job to the moon or some other far off job.Eitherway it’s landed you with a bald spot where you’re scratching your head and I find it incredulous.
Good luck with it all John C,seems like you need it:)

Hi Nicky, yes you are correct. These kinds of jobs I like to do and am known for getting involved with. They are the result of all the young people coming into the business. None are trained but are willing to get their feet wet. Problem is that it takes more than willing to work attitudes to do this kind of work. Luckily the job is not far from home and the machine was inside a shop when the engine locked up. I'm working inside on this one. Thanks for the comment and well wishes.

John C.

Occupation
From the parts diagram it looks like only just a drive plate with a sun gear attached in the middle. The drive plate has outside teeth that fit in the flywheel and is held in with a snap ring. The planetary also has four gears in a rectangle orientation instead of the older three gear type planetarys.

John C.

Occupation
Here are a couple of photos showing the flywheel without and with the sun gear.

IMG_6836.jpeg IMG_6837.jpeg IMG_6839.jpeg

nicky 68a

Well done,glad you got to the bottom of the mystery.It’s almost too bizarre to take in,and I can easily understand that it’s taken so much effort in getting the parts book out and really getting to grips with it.It’s almost been too obvious to be obvious at all!!!!
I’m no fitter,but I guess it’s hard to have such a viariaty of different machines to fix.When Tony comes out to my stuff,he allways brings his pile of books even though he’s doing it day in,day out.That’s why I allways ask him to do things for me.This D6 you’ve been putting right clearly has allready had a number of fitters trying to get it running to zero avail.
Perhaps,it wasn’t their first rodeo,but complacency has crept in and they’ve missed the very basics of their profession.
You,clearly,have not.
You can come and work for me anytime:)

John C.

Occupation
I've done about a dozen of them thirty years ago. Those were all D8 and D9 dozers. I've also done plenty of converters in haul trucks and wheel loaders from multiple manufacturers. The issue was in listening to the story and not recognizing that the drawing did not have the appearance of the sun gear. The Doh! moment was in seeing the training drawing above and Nige sending the parts diagram with the sun gear circled.

Thanks nicky 68a for the confidence. I was told today when I got done that there were five different people who worked on the machine, not including me. It was pretty much all their first rodeo on D6T machines. Age ranges were 25 to around 36. None came from a dealer background. We discussed the issue of wrenches that were over 40 are just not available today.

Vetech63

So let me see if I have this straight. The people that pulled the original engine left a HUGE sun gear or ring out when the replacement engine was installed? How does something that large get overlooked? Wouldn't it be lying somewhere in sight?

John C.

Occupation
So let me see if I have this straight. The people that pulled the original engine left a HUGE sun gear or ring out when the replacement engine was installed? How does something that large get overlooked? Wouldn't it be lying somewhere in sight?

How many people on here have pulled a D6T engine? How many here have had to remove and rebuild one of those torque converters? Things that are obvious to those of us in the business for years, may not be for those just starting out. It was an expensive bit of education on the part of my customer and likely not to be forgotten for a long time.

Vetech63

How many people on here have pulled a D6T engine? How many here have had to remove and rebuild one of those torque converters? Things that are obvious to those of us in the business for years, may not be for those just starting out. It was an expensive bit of education on the part of my customer and likely not to be forgotten for a long time.
I get that but we are talking about a large piece being overlooked that was originally there. I just can't believe even novice techs not noticing something like that. I would have had a fit