• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6T emmisions

pathrone

What does a 2008 D6T with C9 have for emmisions on the motor? We are shopping for dozers and we looked at a 2012 and the motor is scary with epa crap all over it. The owner of the 2008 said this year of motor is emmisions free.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It should be Tier 3. I think Tier 4 interim started a year or two later. Someone should be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

DefenderHD

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
2008 will have a C9 Engine with no emissions.

2012-2015 models have a C9.3 Engine with emissions. DPF and EGR

2015-currrent models Have DPF, SCR (UREA) and EGR

twr

We have a GMK in shop now 4000 hrs. cam went south on. you got to take stuff off for days just to get to valve cover.

twr

You got it, and looked at oil filter they had just changed oil in 2016

DefenderHD

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
There is a service letter out for updated clips. The ones that failed have the part number stamped on the side of the clip. They are the ones that fail. New ones don’t have stamped part numbers. If you have a good dealer you should be able to get some assistance from cat.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
We have a GMK in shop now 4000 hrs. cam went south on. you got to take stuff off for days just to get to valve cover.

They're not that bad. Once you've done it a time or two it only takes about an hour to get the hood and cem off.

Biggest issues with the 9.3s are the junk high pressure pumps but those have gotten better with the revisions. Lifter clips here and there. Injectors here and there.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have a client looking for D6T and now I'm wondering what to tell him about the engines? One of the sales people is telling him all the D6Ts have engine problems and that he has replaced a couple of engine already. Is my client getting slimed? I've hear of a couple of issues in my area that the dealer took care of but not to the extent being pushed.

DefenderHD

Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
In northern Alberta where we have cold weather we’ve experienced allot of issues. It all started with the high pressure fuel pumps failing, then lifted clips. I’ve been down south doing some work and they seem to have allot less issues.

We had a service letter that covered the fuel pumps, lifters, clips and the cam only if the cam was needed.

The letter was first covered for I believe 10,000hrs but then got pushed down to 8000 hrs. We had to get our machines on a list with the dealer and then they passed it onto cat for approval.

In all the d6t’s we’ve had I’d say the best ones were the 2015’s when they brought the UREA in. They had the updated pumps and clips from factory. We had a 2018 drop a valve at 500hrs and there is a service letter for the cylinder heads on the new machines. They aren’t machined properly.

In the end I am still a big fan of the d6t. You can’t get the information from any other manufacturer the same way as cat if you know how to find it.

Don’t take all this as a 100% true and try to take it to your dealer. This is what I have been experiencing here.

Cheers

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
I have a client looking for D6T and now I'm wondering what to tell him about the engines? One of the sales people is telling him all the D6Ts have engine problems and that he has replaced a couple of engine already. Is my client getting slimed? I've hear of a couple of issues in my area that the dealer took care of but not to the extent being pushed.

They have had more engine issues than the previous generations with the vast majority traced back to the high pressure injection pump. I've seen several engines that a HP pump starting to drag and try seize wiped out the front geartrain. Of course most of those were throwing some sort of rail pressure fault for a long time but they still ran so the operator kept going.

twr

There is a service letter out for updated clips. The ones that failed have the part number stamped on the side of the clip. They are the ones that fail. New ones don’t have stamped part numbers. If you have a good dealer you should be able to get some assistance from cat.
Yes sir we changed them all thanks.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I just took delivery of a 2011 D6T, and yes, the engine is well protected from sunlight! Engine? What engine?
I called Toromont on it before the purchase, and the service manager said those tractors have about the same number of call backs as any other, with the big issue being the $$$ involved in accessing the engine.

The injection pump on mine was replaced through the CAT program.