• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6T blade won't drop fast enough

d9gdon

This D6T sn LAY907 has a problem with the blade. I have to wait on the blade to lower to make another push. I noticed (sometimes) if you tilt the blade at the same time as dropping it, it'll go down like it should.

JDOFMEMI

I don't know for sure on the D-6T, but on the D-8T you can adjust the hydraulic speed in the control panel. I believe you can also turn the float function on or off to suit your needs.
On the other hand, you can start lowering before you get where you are going. ;)

vapor300

Sounds like it needs to have the joystick calibrated, call cat they can do it in about 15 min. The new Tier 4 6T's have that fuction you are talking about JDOFMEMI (Standard, Fine, Fast) but the older 6Ts did not. But even in FINE if you push the joystick down the blade should drop pretty quickly

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Well said JDOFEMI!

On the other hand, you can start lowering before you get where you are going.

It can't always be done but a sign of a top class operator is that a casual observer doesn't actualy see the blade moving down . . . it's just there in position ready for the push . . . d9gdons problem is a pain though and needs to be fixed.

Cheers.

d9gdon

Well howdy boys, I see you have some first class responses. My internet's been out. Seems the phone company got about 2" of fill on top of their line that follows my driveway out in the pasture. I brought the 623B over yesterday to fill in some potholes by scraping a little roll I had left on one side of the road from blading. I moved it to some wash outs from two 5" rains I had around May. What do you want to bet that I get charged for a full month's bill?

No such luck on machine programming the blade like the D8T. This thing is worthless the way it is. Yeah I could start lowering it before hand if I still smoked, cause I could get one out of the pack, light it, and get the first puff before this thing ever hit the ground. Where the hell is a good D9G when i need one ?

vapor300

Ill bet money that the joystick needs calibrated, we had 3 6T's that if u barley osuhed the blade down it would slam it to the ground, cat came out and recalibrated and it was fine

DPete

Nothing worse than dozer hydraulics that don't work right, I'm sure you'll get it straightend out

LDK

I am running a 6R at the moment and it's doing the exact same as that T of yours 95% of the time, the rest of the time it drops like a stone. No fun at all.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I know I'm banging the same old drum but why the hell does a simple up/down valve ever need an electronic or pilot calibration?

Why put an extra layer of complexity over a very simple function . . . it's like counting the feet in a pen of bullocks and then dividing by four to get the number. . . sheesh.

Cheers

Plant Fitter

Yair . . . I know I'm banging the same old drum but why the hell does a simple up/down valve ever need an electronic or pilot calibration?

Why put an extra layer of complexity over a very simple function . . . it's like counting the feet in a pen of bullocks and then dividing by four to get the number. . . sheesh.

Cheers

Good call. My question is how does it get out of calibration to even need re-calibration?

d9gdon

We put a new updated sleeve in the quick drop valve, tested the pilot valves, and swapped around some solenoids on the up-down and tilt functions. The problem is in the float valve function. It's not working at all. We think the problem is in the valve stack, a nice two day job that's not gonna happen right now. Sending it back to where it came from. A disposable D6T, another surprise from Cat.

vapor300

I dont thinks it because they dont want to strain themselves opening a valve, its because its faster and alot easier, cat mechanic pluged into the data por on the 6 and told me to run it, as i was running it icalled him on the phone and told him, i wanted to go up faster down faster tilt right faster tilt left faster, set it up excatly how i liked it in 10 min and had about 5 min of downtie for him to plag his scanner in or whatever it is that links the machine to the mechanics laptop

DPete

Systems today are to complicated, older valving was simple, the further you pushed or pulled the lever the faster it worked. IMO the ease of operation has gone beyond what is necessary and has cost reliability. It's not that big of a deal if you are working down the road from a dealer but if you are in a remote area or even another country and can't work because your dozer won't go down it becomes a very big deal.

LDK

DPete, I could not agree more with you, on both counts. I am working in Russia at the moment and the chances of getting the problem fixed on that 6R are slim to none. Backing up your second point there is a 20 year old 6H here that is dog rough but the blade lever on it is no trouble and it has better feel on the hydraulics than that 6R has or had before its current problem. Luckily I only have about 6 weeks left to do here before moving on to what I hope will be greener pastures.

Systems today are to complicated, older valving was simple, the further you pushed or pulled the lever the faster it worked. IMO the ease of operation has gone beyond what is necessary and has cost reliability. It's not that big of a deal if you are working down the road from a dealer but if you are in a remote area or even another country and can't work because your dozer won't go down it becomes a very big deal.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . DPete.

Well put, I don't think any of the actual end users asked for these "improvements".

Are there any industry organisations that could get together in the US and put a case to (say) Caterpillar that they could corner the market for (say) 25 ton excavators if they bought out a mechanical version "With Cat's legendary quality and reliability but with no electronics exept for engine management" . . . according to a few blokes I have spoken to over here in Australia they could anyway.

What do you fellers reckon?

Cheers.