• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6T Blade Control Problem

Metalman 55

I purchased this D6T ser # GMK xxxxx a few months back with about 9,400 hrs on it & it seems like a pretty decent machine for being an 11 yr old unit, however, especially in the warmer weather after the hyd oil heats up, the blade up function speed suddenly slows down, with the blade up power being compromised as well. It is a sudden change & is quite predictable after about 90 minutes of operation. Once cooler, all is as normal. We swapped out the electronic blade up control with ripper down (same part #) just to test it & the problem persists when warm, still quite functional, but just lazy, which effects the operating performance somewhat. Just wondered if anyone else out there has experienced this problem & could shed some light on the subject? Thanks

Attachments

• 20220628_095332.jpg
    20220628_095332.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 27

Metalman 55

I recently had a Cat tech do a blade control re-calibration to factory settings & the control issue was solved. Just thought I would add this in case anyone else is having similar problems & it may help them.

ahart

Wouldn’t hurt to get some pressures from the main implement pump when machine is cold vs when it warms up also. And a hydraulic oil sample would also be beneficial.

tctractors

I would near bet its the implement pump worn out, do a pressure test, the fact that it degrades with time worked its not going to be a calibration fix I feel, I never bother to much with the oil sample when something is clearly wrong, it might be worth checking on the track spin turn, that is the Diff Steer spin out of gear, if it struggles to spin freely your pump is a knacker job.

ahart

I’m not sure in what world an oil sample doesn’t hold any value. But I guess you have a right to your opinion.

tctractors

I’m not sure in what world an oil sample doesn’t hold any value. But I guess you have a right to your opinion.tor
I managed to get tired reading the results of oil samples, to many Monitor comments, they love to sit on the fence, besides when something is showing a clear fault it's better to cut open filters, oil samples obviously are an important aid for yourself but I am not impressed doing them at this point, it's a bit pointless I would feel.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My view on oil sampling is that it's good when done as per a schedule from the day a machine is first put to work. It allows trends to be established over time and is usually pretty good at predicting stuff.

A single sample taken in isolation only gives an indication of the system condition at a specific point in time and unless it shows a system that's full of silicon, contaminated with diesel/coolant, or something else that's blindingly obvious it's of limited use. With something like this tractor I'm with TC and would say a filter cut might be of more use.

Oxbow

I recently had a Cat tech do a blade control re-calibration to factory settings & the control issue was solved. Just thought I would add this in case anyone else is having similar problems & it may help them.
Thank you for this, I will keep it in mind if we have similar problems with our D6T.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Thank you for this, I will keep it in mind if we have similar problems with our D6T.
If you ever have a dealer tech (or anyone with Cat ET if I'm honest) at the machine doing anything else it might be well worth your while to have them recalibrate the transmission & implements. It might surprise you just how different the machine is to operate afterwards.

ahart

Well I’ll stick to my guns on the oil sample. There’s no better time than today to start gathering trend information when it comes to any machine. I agree a single sample doesn’t give much value but you can’t get any information from not taking a sample.

tctractors

Well I’ll stick to my guns on the oil sample. There’s no better time than today to start gathering trend information when it comes to any machine. I agree a single sample doesn’t give much value but you can’t get any information from not taking a sample.
I totally understand your thoughts and credit to you for your commitment to something you find the need for, but that slip of paper is a week away at least with possibly a Monitor at next Sample bit of script, I would have cut the filters, pulled off the Donk' implement pump and had things shipping on, those oil samples are handy guides forming a history from new on any piece of equipment, but I am a bit Old School and love a good magnet screen or plug full of sparkles, or filter pleats showing shrapnel, oil samples make nice stacks of paper in a Service File, the Tractor is wounded and needs a bit of care.

ahart

Make no mistake, I don’t wait on an oil sample results when the numbers and data show a failed component. But, it is handy knowing what is in your oil that you can’t see so you can do the proper clean up of the system. I’ve got a 374D excavator right now that failed a main pump. Did a clean out of the system upon replacing the pump and installed clean out filters. The oil filter looks fine and the oil looks fine but the particle count is still higher than normal on the sample so it requires another round of clean out filters before the normal filters are put back in. All I’m saying is you have to know where you’re starting from to know if it’s getting better.

Oxbow

If you ever have a dealer tech (or anyone with Cat ET if I'm honest) at the machine doing anything else it might be well worth your while to have them recalibrate the transmission & implements. It might surprise you just how different the machine is to operate afterwards.
I'll do that.

tctractors

Make no mistake, I don’t wait on an oil sample results when the numbers and data show a failed component. But, it is handy knowing what is in your oil that you can’t see so you can do the proper clean up of the system. I’ve got a 374D excavator right now that failed a main pump. Did a clean out of the system upon replacing the pump and installed clean out filters. The oil filter looks fine and the oil looks fine but the particle count is still higher than normal on the sample so it requires another round of clean out filters before the normal filters are put back in. All I’m saying is you have to know where you’re starting from to know if it’s getting better.
I totally understand your comment Chap but we although do similar work its poles apart how your customers or Company and my customers to a point control their spend, a good customer of mine the other day had me go out to a Volvo Excavator that was about 10 years old and just a handy back up to his main equipment, it was making a Hell of a fuss on start up with the Hydraulic pump being the culprit, this was a Kawasaki pump set that he had me pull off the engine and strip out on the Track with a bit of rag on top of the plates, it needed a new rotating assembly and a few bearings that I ordered with a cost of around £750, I rebuilt the pump and fitted it to the engine then came the Hydraulic oil question, do you have new or do I use the old oil as drained? the answer was put the old oil back in but leave the bottom bit in the barrel topping up with fresh, new filters and away it goes not to be looked at until the next time it stops, I don't mind this as it is not on my back that he thought to use the old crappy oil, but the Excavator has been really busy and worked well for the customer and after all He pays the Monkey.