• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6R vs D6M or 6N

Dustin

Can I get some info on real world comparison on these 2 dozers. I have seen alot of people that seem to like the 6R but not so much info on the 6M/N. I know of the size diffrence but what is the diffrence in production in a day?
I mainly would use it for roadbuilding, brushclearing, and digging stock tanks. I have a komatsu D65 right now and know it is comparable to the 6R...is there a huge diffrence with the 6M/N? I am looking to buy one of these and would like some input.
Thanks

alco

It's my understanding that the D6M and subsequently the N are really the replacements of the D5H model, but with new numbering. So the production differences should be similar to those between a D5H and D6H....if that helps at all.

Brian

biggixxerjim

well the D6R was initially set up for bulk pushing while the D6M (and D5M) were more set up as heavy duty finish machines, seeing as most of the time they were fitted with pat blades. Cat later dropped the M series and then went to the N series, while retaining the R, which is set up on a heavier chasis.

bigcatpip

the company I work for has D6R's alot of them and they work well, if you are looking to replace your 65, then I would pick a R over a N,, But if you are grading topsoil and backfilling curb and working around thing like that. Well then you might think about the N.. with that being said I think the R is the best fit for you.
Plus GPS work well on both.

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
I mainly would use it for roadbuilding, brushclearing, and digging stock tanks. I have a komatsu D65 right now and know it is comparable to the 6R...is there a huge diffrence with the 6M/N? I am looking to buy one of these and would like some input.
Thanks

It looks like we are in the same line of work with what we do with our machines. I have a 6R and love it for what I do. I have also thought about replacing the R for a N, mainly because of the cost of ownership, but a mechanic for Cat said that some of the N's were not holding up well when doing major bulk pushing but most of these machines he was talking about were in the oilfields.

I have also heard that the M and N's replaced the 5H. My dad has a 5H and as far as production with the 5H and my 6R, I will outpush him nearly 2 to 1. Trees that stop him dead in is tracks I can generally push down with no problems.

I do like hauling the 5H much better than the 6R.

Just my .02

pushcat

An M is not quite 2/3's of an R. Go with the bigger one, you can finish good enough with an R, but if you do any bulk pushing you will be very disappointed with an M or an N.

F-1.08-F.G.

I don't mean to throw a wrench in the gears you guys have turning... but a D6T with a V-PAT is a stong finish machine. But that might just be my opinion because I'm a big fan of 6-PATs:IMO:my2c

F-1.08-F.G.

We have an R with a PAT blade at work... all of the operators get frustrated trying to manage the blade. It may be a little difficult to produce nice work, but after a few hours/days anyone can get used to it. Older machine (in some peoples eyes), everyone complains that the blade is messed up, that it is weak and that we should scrap it... I'm the first one to volunteer to run it though. I enjoy a challenge, and it's a fun machine to master.

GPSGrader

Occupation
Grade Foreman/Operator - 95% Motor Grader
We have a D6N with GPS along with a D6R. The D6N goes behind the cut excavator(GPS), and roughly finishes the dirt around 0.2 high. Works great. Has pretty good bit of power, likes to spin a track though. When I ran this dozer on big 2:1 cut sections, the dozer was a little too inclined to slide. Maybe an LGP would have been best? Don't have one. The VPAT blade is versatile and is preferred since this is our bulk finishing dozer.
The D6R stays in one of my favorite spots, the pit. (I run the grader and when I go here I think of it as fun) Anyway, the 6R is good for pushing a pile. Last day I spent there I had 600 tandem truck loads of dirt come in during the day and had no problem keeping up with grading the dirt nicely. It seems to carry a heap more material than the D6N though.
Cat brought us this D6T to try and it was NICE!! Seemed to have more bite than the 6R. actually, I believe it's about 5,000lbs heavier. Another 30 hp or so. Quite a machine. Here's a picture. I jumped off and snapped a few before I took off any more paint.

Attachments

• 481810-R1-052-24A_024.jpg
    481810-R1-052-24A_024.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,975

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I am by no means a dozer expert, but I've run a 6R with a PAT blade and it seemed to me really tough to handle when compared to a machine that was setup solely for a PAT, like a 6N or 6M. I know the new T's you can get either way fairly easily, but a 6R with a PAT is fairly rare around here.

Sharky

Run the 6R for Lots of pushing and shot rock finish. Excellent machine, and running the 6 way blade with no automatics. I can get everything close enough for subgrading material, usually within 2 to 3 tenths, and many times getting it dead on.

Here is some of my work and a visitor that liked the 6 too:)

Attachments

• Icefield 138.jpg
    Icefield 138.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,444
  • Icefield 145.jpg
    Icefield 145.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 3,392
  • Icefield 144.jpg
    Icefield 144.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,418
  • Icefield 147.jpg
    Icefield 147.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,340
  • Icefield 150.jpg
    Icefield 150.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3,348

D11RCD

COPPA Member
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Run the 6R for Lots of pushing and shot rock finish. Excellent machine, and running the 6 way blade with no automatics. I can get everything close enough for subgrading material, usually within 2 to 3 tenths, and many times getting it dead on.

Here is some of my work and a visitor that liked the 6 too:)
What happened to the crow in the 3rd picture?

Turbo21835

I have run a 6R with PAT blade. I found it easy to grade with. Maybe that was because it was an LGP? Around here everyone loves their dozers with training wheels. I found it would bulk a decent amount in a day. Would it keep up with a 6R with a SU, no. Then again, a SU wont finish like a PAT will. For an all around machine, I would go with a PAT. If I was just there to shove dirt, give me the SU. Just dont put that SU on a D6, Give me a D7H series II please

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
It says in Dustin's profile that he is from Coleman. If it is Coleman TX., I dont think a PAT blade would be a very good choice. There are too many mesquites and most of them are very big mesquites. Remember this is just my opinion. I myself would like a PAT blade, as long as it was not my primary machine.

Sharky

What happened to the crow in the 3rd picture?

Was one of the two Ravens, Heykl and Jeykl:drinkup Salmon are running now, so they are not hungry for a few months, in another month or so, they will come back around. Ravens are smart, unlike a crow. They can open duffle bags and many styles of lunch boxes.