• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6R questions

KS8780

Yes. One cylinder on each end of blade. One cylinder goes out and the other in. I call it tilt. I can see now that pitch would be leaning the top of the blade forward and back. Air ride seat also.

Tinkerer

I am quite curious as to why anyone would go to the expense to have that blade tilt like that.
It would be awesome for cutting ditches. Must have been very pricey.
It would be handy to have a valve that would enable both cylinders to move in and out in unison for an easy way to tilt the blade.
I would have changed the tilt way more often than I did because the threaded rod on the left rarely was greased and that mad it a chore to turn it.

Cmark

It would be handy to have a valve that would enable both cylinders to move in and out in unison for an easy way to tilt the blade.

A valve to make both cylinders operate in the same direction in order to adjust the pitch was another optional fitment, hence my question about an electrical switch on the control lever. I was surprised that someone would go to the expense of buying a special blade like that and not ordering the variable pitch option.

So back to the original problem. Are one or both tilt cylinders not reaching their full stroke?

KS8780

When I inspected the machine before purchase they seemed to have full stroke. After running it for a few hours the other day. The blade would tilt left but not full stroke and would hardly tilt right past center. I started the machine 2 days ago and blade would tilt both right and left correctly. Cylinders appeared to be using the full stroke at this time. I have not been able to run machine and get it up to temp to see if it screws up again.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
As Cmark has said you would almost need that switch to run one cylinder at a time to get them at midstroke with the blade level. Sounds like you may have bad piston seals on one cylinder.

KS8780

A bit of an update but I still haven't figured out what's going on.

The last time I used dozer I descovered that the blade will tilt correctly when first started. When it quits tilting I can lower blade and raise front of tractor off the ground a little and activate the blade tilt circuit and it will work as it should and muscle the tractor around a bit. I can then raise blade back up and blade will tilt correctly back and forth for several times but seems to loose cylinder stroke slowly until it hardly tilts at all again. When the cylinders come to the end of the stroke, either full stroke or partial when it is not working right, I can here the hydraulics laboring as I would expect.

So why does pressuring the blade down cause the tilt to start working correctly ?

.RC.

If it is a closed centre hydraulic system operating another circuit operating might make the pump start pumping oil.

KS8780

Sounds like you may have a problem in the resolver network. If you steer the machine or lift the blade, does the tilt start working?

No.....the only way it starts working is if I power down the blade lift and then activate the tilt with it powered down. Raise blade and tilt will work full stroke a few times and then start losing stroke until it barely tilts at all.

I looked at the resolver network in the service manual and I have never seen anything quite like that. Appears to be a bunch of check valve type things kinda mounted in series. I'm still not sure how it all works for now.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The resolver network is nothing more than a bunch of shuttle valves mounted in series to direct oil to the system that requires it. A priority flow network if you will.
Either there will be some damaged seals or one of the balls in those shuttle valves will be stuck. I'd go for the O-Rings & backup rings as most likely, but if a ball is sticking the complete valve will have to be replaced because neither the ball or the valve body are sold separately. There will be a shuttle valve in each section of the hydraulic control valve for the dozer functions and they are all identical. See attachment.

EDIT: This is what it looks like when you get it out.

upload_2021-3-14_16-4-28.png

Attachments

• Control Vlv.pdf
    215.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Cmark

No.....the only way it starts working is if I power down the blade lift and then activate the tilt with it powered down. Raise blade and tilt will work full stroke a few times and then start losing stroke until it barely tilts at all.

I looked at the resolver network in the service manual and I have never seen anything quite like that. Appears to be a bunch of check valve type things kinda mounted in series. I'm still not sure how it all works for now.

What about the steering?

KS8780

I don't think steering made a difference but cannot say for sure. Not positive I tried it while steering.

Tinkerer

Is there a possibility there is a problem with the blade and not the cylinder function ?
An example would be the the blade binding up.
Or a malfunction causing the cylinders rods to be going the same direction intermediately ?
I would be tempted to unhook one of them from the blade and see what happens when tilting it with just one cylinder.
You could observe the rod travel of the unhooked cylinder at the same time.