• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6N vs 750J

DeanW

Occupation
Dozer
My 750J is in need of an u/c so the boss man is looking at maybe just trading it in for a new one, I said hey lets try a 6! I've never had the chance to run a 6 so I'm curios to know what the pros an cons are of the 6 for those of you that have run both. I've heard that the 6 is about 30k more than the 750, just don't know if my boss would go for that.
I think the extra weight of the 6 would be a plus. I do like the 750 tho... Any thoughts?:drinkup

crazycajun

I have 2 6n's I personally think it's the best dozer made. My buddy has a 750 and ran my 6 and said "that's not comparable to a 750, it's compatible to an 850!" In the mud 6n hands down... 750 probably turns quicker, but I sure love my 2!

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
30K more for a 6, and your trade in on your machine now with it being in need of a UC means alot less on trade in value. How many hours are we talking? If the machine is totally wore out with 15K hours on it or somthing yeah go for it, but a UC might be the best way to go and save some money.

Trbo

DeanW

Occupation
Dozer
Yeah thats what I told the boss, its only got 4600hrs on it. But hey if he wants to buy a new machine for me who am I to complain:D

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Yeah thats what I told the boss, its only got 4600hrs on it. But hey if he wants to buy a new machine for me who am I to complain:D

I agree, your not footing the bill...boss wants a new machine for you...all good!!

Trbo

pwrstroke6john

I can not say much about the 750 but I have been on a job with a D6N and for the fairly small size of that dozer it was real impressive in what it would push.

whiteline

In my experience our D6 with 25000 hours would outperform our brand new Jd 850 J. Sure there more money but you definatly get what you pay for

t3chw00di

I would have to disagree with a few things mentioned here.
I have found that most 6N's I've run are pretty gutless and the 750J's will out-push them easily. There is the odd 6N that pushes good though. Must be chipped differently or something.
Do you like the fast hydraulic speed on the 750J? If you do, then you won't like the slow a** cat hydraulics on the 6N's.
The hydrostatic drive and ability to turn (fast) on a dime is also great on the JD's.
Visibility is good on both of them. JD has better lighting then the cat if you do much work after dark.
I find JD's to be slightly rougher riding than Cat's.
Noise levels in the cab are pretty high on both of them.
6N's are nicer for shoveling tracks with the high drive.
JD's seem to be a bit more 'tinny'. Like rattling doors etc. We've also worn holes through several dozer blade skins on the 750J's working in frost, rocks, etc. Never seen that happen with Cat dozers. Just lots of dents.

It seems that the company I work for has stopped buying JD dozers because the resale value of them is so much less than Cat, although they do have a new 650J on order (requested by an oil company for ice road work).
I usually run a 6T which I like a lot, but if I had to choose between a 750J or a 6N I think I would lean towards the 750J. It's a tough call though.

Good luck :)