1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

D6N or D6K

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by MattR, Nov 26, 2021.

1. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Any pros and cons to which choice to make? Thinking of replacing my d6c and d7e with just one newer unit. We do general excavation and road building. I do want something with a 6 way blade. I'm sure many of you have owned and operated both. I've been on neither. Thanks

2. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

You're going to want at least a 6N. A 6K is not as much machine as your 6C.

Not to cause a commotion, but a Komatsu D61 might be a better fit to replace what you have now.

nicky 68a likes this.
  3. nicky 68a

nicky 68a Senior Member

Personally,I’ve allways been a D6N fan and they’ve earned me a few coins over the years with their reliability and resale value.I don’t like the look of the D6K,but I hired one in for a job years ago and really liked it.It controlled and handled very well.
    As for Komatsu,they have allways made an excellent tractor in my opinion,dare I say they have had the upper hand on Cat in many respects,but……parts pricing,availability and resake value have allways steered me away from them here in the UK.

bccat, John C. and Shimmy1 like this.
  4. nicky 68a

nicky 68a Senior Member

Wouldn’t want to cause a Komatsu commotion Shimmy

bccat, John C. and Shimmy1 like this.
  5. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

No worries. I only suggested a 61 because I think it would be more the kind of machine MattR is used to. Absolutely nothing wrong with a 6N, but a D61 will have a bit more lead in it's pencil, and I'd hate to hear MattR back here complaining about it.

bccat and nicky 68a like this.
  6. nicky 68a

nicky 68a Senior Member

Shimmy,I’m a big fan of Komatsu dozers,I just can’t admit it to myself.

John C., bccat and Shimmy1 like this.
  7. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

The Kool-aid in construction can get just as potent as it can in agriculture. :D:D:D

John C., MattR and nicky 68a like this.
  8. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

That's a good one!

9. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

No, I appreciate hearing about all the different manufacturers. Of course including John Deere. I have a 550 g already also and it's a really good machine

10. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Well, well, well. You already have a finish dozer, so you really have no need for a 6K unless you are only looking for a finish machine. Based on that info, and what you have currently, if you are thinking at all about more production, a 6T or 65 is going to be where it's at.

11. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info fellows