• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6K system one track

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Never tried it, but I would say no. The reason being the "bicycle chain" design of the system one track links. To remove "a link" you would actually have to remove two links, and I don't think you could ever get the track tensioner back far enough to do that. I hope the photo below makes it clearer, it's kinda hard to explain.

upload_2019-2-16_6-27-55.png

My ram is pushed all the way out and I’ve got enough slack the track will jump off if your not careful

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You may be up for a replacement link group.
Depending on your experience and operating hours unless you are happy with SystemOne as your "go to" undercarriage this may be the time to contemplate a switch to standard heavy-duty undercarriage. It will, however, require a lot more parts than just a new set of links.

Have you had your local Cat dealer PSSR come out and do a full undercarriage measurement..? I assume your currently-installed U/C is all OEM Cat..?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
For quite awhile there were problems with the seals in the tracks and the dealers were allowed a lot of latitude in credits given for prematurely worn out chains. As Nige says, check with a dealer PSSR on measurements and particularly dry links. If the rail heights and the rest of the undercarriage are 60% worn or less you should have some type of relief on replacement cost.

ih100

If System 1 is that worn and there's nothing left on the tensioner, chances are the seals in the links are shot and possibly the pins are coming adrift in the outer links, have a good look. Could be SALT time. In my experience, Two things S1 doesn't like are side slopes and abrasive sand. Whether the seals can't stand lateral flex as well as SALT I don't know. Be interesting to know what others on here think.

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
You can make it one link shorter by using what is called a half link. It's used to make odd length chains, 39-41-45. If you look at all the even link chains all the outer links look the same and are all on the outside but if you look at tracks that are odd link you will find one link that look normal on one end and then it curves to the inside.

You can't take links out of this chain like the standard chains. It takes a completely different tool to disassemble and assemble them. Conventional chains you push out the pins while in the system one you pull the links off of the bushing. If you get on one of the Cat sites and check out the parts pages you can see the different type of links.

Reactions: DB2