• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6H Transmission over heating.

BazSloan

Yes I don’t know history of machine but looks like tranny has been out. No slippage in any gears. P1 is within spec ( will have to check pressure is in workshop and I’m in bed) seems about the same in all gears. Have had valve out and cleaned/refitted. I have another D6 and am hoping it will be home soon and I’ll swap the tranny valves over. Seems strange that when I first start the pressure is up over 100 and it drops to 80 over about a minute or so. Will time it next time I test. Maybe I should bypass the cooler too and see what I get.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think at this stage it's a case of eliminating things one at a time until you get to the root cause.
The drop of pressure as it warms up is telling though. Something is holding (after a fashion) when it's cold but not once it warms up. I think it has to be a seal somewhere, but I've been wrong before.

BazSloan

Ok no I have now bypassed the oil cooler and still have SCAB valve blanked off. Started it up torque converter belt went to about 110 and slowly dropped back to 90. Lubrication pressure started at 25 and slowly dropped back to 15 at full throttle.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Is the trans oil level dropping when the pressure drops off?
Have you checked if the torque housing is flooding due to leakage or bad scavenge pump operation?
Is the oil foaming or aerated?

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Have all the suction lines been inspected for blockage. Ie screen in torque line.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have had one of the metal lines crack that is on the inside of the dozer frame you have to pull trans to get to them
Thinking about it a hairline crack in a line might just produce the symptoms the OP is describing. A small leak with cold oil that gets worse as the oil warms and thins.

Baz, if you're not sure of the oil I would suggest to drain whatever's in there now and try filling it with SAE50 TO-4 for your climate conditions in the interior of QLD.

aog_allen

Occupation
farmer/earthmover
We had a similar issue.. You might try the trans oil filter. The H can't handle the ultra high efficiency filter that parts recommends, go back to the original filter designed for the machine.