• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6h series 2

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Get ready to do a full inframe on that. When you pull the liners you will probably find block deck wear allowed the liner to drop and then blew the head gasket. In that case the block will need to be cut and shimmed.
How long have you owned this cat?

We have only had for few years maybe put 600hrs on. Long story short we had heating problems in transmission ended up being a sticky brake. That would heat up whole machine. So not sure if previous owner got rid of because of the heating so not sure how hot it got.

It was working awsome till last week was using it. It always ran at 180 then all of a sudden was up to 210.

JD955SC

Get ready to do a full inframe on that. When you pull the liners you will probably find block deck wear allowed the liner to drop and then blew the head gasket. In that case the block will need to be cut and shimmed.
How long have you owned this cat?

This thread is a prime example of how a simple problem turns into a full blown nightmare of never ending repair because you always find bigger and bigger issues.

Mobiltech

Occupation
I find a lot of head gasket problems if repaired correctly end up in a full rebuild due to deck wear.
I also see a lot of people saying “ just put a head gasket in and see what happens” . You might get away with that if you don’t put many hours on in a year.
You also have that suspicious liner mark that is something I would want to look at. Pulling a piston and liner at this point is easy but your parts list will grow substantially.

Ya wonder what those lines are? Was pretty Carboned up.can't feel the lines with fingernail

Mobiltech

Occupation
Looks like something imbedded in the top of the piston. Probably came in through the intake valve.

Bluox

Ya wonder what those lines are? Was pretty Carboned up.can't feel the lines with fingernail
My guess would be that piece of metal looking object that's between the piston and the liner right at the bottom of the scratch.
Pull the head gasket off.
Bob

Mbar

Are those rings around the valves indented or just a clean spot from the linners. If indented. Inframe and cut block for shims

Think going to take liners out. Can a guy get these out in the dozer and get back in? Or do you have to pull motor?

Bluox

Do you have tooling to deal with liners ?
Do it look like you can get pan off?
Are the block pitted where the water grommets go?
Kinda looks like that block has been sleeved already.
You may be ahead to get a reman motor.
Bob

Yes the block is pitted where water grommets go. No don't have the tools. And yes I think your right it does look like spacers under liner. This thing is testing me for sure. Not sure what a remain engine is worth might be worth it though

Sorry if boring you guys this project is taking forever! Took out piston that I thought was Leary this what found969FDCD9-00E1-4642-8071-2733590D60E5.jpeg87B5E31A-FDB2-4766-A7EA-4109AC3662F8.jpeg 87B5E31A-FDB2-4766-A7EA-4109AC3662F8.jpeg

Does anyone know how to check piston oil cooler jets? Is there a way to see if they spray correct on under piston?