1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

D6H Recoil group re-sleeve

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by Mtadamek, May 31, 2014.

1. Mtadamek

Mtadamek Member

Had a seal out on the recoil group on d6hxlii on new to me tractor. Pulled the recoil cylinder and the bearing sleeve was badly damaged and pitted. Decided to order a new sleeve. Cut off the old one and followed the procedure of heating the sleeve and cooling the frame wit dry ice. No luck, made it on a half an inch and stopped. Any tips on this. Also found the plate the tensioner rides on in the tube is broken. This requires compression and removal of the spring. I dont want to attempt that myself. The guy I bought my rails from has the tools and I think I am going to let him attempt this. Only issue is there was dirt and some moisture in the roller frame housing where there was supposed to be oil. Worried about getting the spring retaining nut out. Any ideas or words of wisdom?

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Don't let anyone tackle a tensioner unless they have the tooling. Even dealer guys get twitchy when the weight comes on the press.

IIRC the sleeve needs heating and the idler frame needs cooling big style allied to a press if necessary, and you have to be ready with the press to get it on straight away if the sleeve stops moving at any time.

3. Mtadamek

Mtadamek Member

Sleeve was installed today. 50 bucks of dry ice and an oven did the trick. We made sure everything was polished before starting. The sleeve actually fell on. Glad that is done!

4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Always good to hear a success story.

5. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    They can be a bit daunting at first. If everything is prepared right and the cooling and heating is sorted they drop on easy enough.

6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

In my experience people are frightened to get the sleeve too hot (don't fcuk about, heat the bejasus out of it) and the same with cooling the frame ........... plenty of heat and cold and she'll drop on like a good 'un.

7. Mtadamek

Mtadamek Member

This was the second try. Book says to heat to 175. I cooked it in water and it only went down half an inch. Almost lost it. Had to use a jack to pry it off. Second time I put it in the oven at 350 for an hour and a half. A little hot to handle, but it worked. No cracking of the chrome at all.

8. bigsmoke

bigsmoke Active Member

Heavy equipment mechanic
    I've used a big stainless pot to and a burner to get some 10w up to 250 degrees or so. Never had any hang up one the canon, either.