• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6H Recoil group re-sleeve

Mtadamek

Had a seal out on the recoil group on d6hxlii on new to me tractor. Pulled the recoil cylinder and the bearing sleeve was badly damaged and pitted. Decided to order a new sleeve. Cut off the old one and followed the procedure of heating the sleeve and cooling the frame wit dry ice. No luck, made it on a half an inch and stopped. Any tips on this. Also found the plate the tensioner rides on in the tube is broken. This requires compression and removal of the spring. I dont want to attempt that myself. The guy I bought my rails from has the tools and I think I am going to let him attempt this. Only issue is there was dirt and some moisture in the roller frame housing where there was supposed to be oil. Worried about getting the spring retaining nut out. Any ideas or words of wisdom?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Don't let anyone tackle a tensioner unless they have the tooling. Even dealer guys get twitchy when the weight comes on the press.

IIRC the sleeve needs heating and the idler frame needs cooling big style allied to a press if necessary, and you have to be ready with the press to get it on straight away if the sleeve stops moving at any time.

Mtadamek

Sleeve was installed today. 50 bucks of dry ice and an oven did the trick. We made sure everything was polished before starting. The sleeve actually fell on. Glad that is done!

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
They can be a bit daunting at first. If everything is prepared right and the cooling and heating is sorted they drop on easy enough.

Mtadamek

This was the second try. Book says to heat to 175. I cooked it in water and it only went down half an inch. Almost lost it. Had to use a jack to pry it off. Second time I put it in the oven at 350 for an hour and a half. A little hot to handle, but it worked. No cracking of the chrome at all.

bigsmoke

Occupation
Heavy equipment mechanic
I've used a big stainless pot to and a burner to get some 10w up to 250 degrees or so. Never had any hang up one the canon, either.