• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6H Fuel Pump

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've got a friend troubleshooting a D6H Sn 4GG00334 that just died on site. Operator said there was a pop and everything stopped. My guy checked all the usual stuff, air filter, fuel supply and tried bleeding the injectors. Says fuel only dribbles out when he pumps the hand pump and the same when he turns the engine over. I'm thinking there is a problem with the pump and it needs to come out. Before I tell him to do that, I was wondering of other issues. How does this pump get timed to the engine? Last time I did one of these of these it took a timing on the end of the pump shaft. Here is a photo of the pump.

IMG_0711.jpeg

Bluox

I believe that engine is pinned and the pump is pinned and the pump drive gear is pulled off the pump shaft.
The gear stays in the timing cover.
No key or timing plates involved.
Bob

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sorry if picture quality is not good but you might be able to tell if this is your pump:

Attachments

• Timing fuel pump.pdf
    221.7 KB · Views: 13

PEVO

I believe that engine is pinned and the pump is pinned and the pump drive gear is pulled off the pump shaft.
The gear stays in the timing cover.
No key or timing plates involved.
Bob
If it is like a 3204...then thats exactly the same type setup/procedure

Dave Neubert

You pull the 4 bolt cover off the side of the injection pump insert pin a drill bit will work 3/8 I think turn motor over by hand until pin drops in pull 1/4 pipe plug from under the starter area and use a long 3/8 bolt and screw it into flywheel pull 15/16 bolt of end of pump use a puller using the 2 3/8 fine thread holes in the pump gear to pop gear off. Or put a pry bar between pump and timing gear housing loosen the 15/16 bolt a few rounds and hit bolt with a big hammer wile prying back on pump

361brock

Occupation
retired
Lift pump has a diaphragm and spring that has been known to break causing injection pump to starve for fuel. The lift pump is part of the primer and is mechanical.

Reactions: DB2

John C.

Occupation
Thank you all for the information and especially kshansen for the pages. I'll get with my friend and check all this out. I'll let you know what we find.

John C.

Occupation
I got to the machine with my friend yesterday and we removed the transfer pump and dismantled it for inspection. It has a rod that rides against a cam in the fuel pump which moves a piston that has a couple of what look like check valves. The photos are below. The transfer pump is the aluminum looking thing to the left of the fuel filter.

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

John C.

Occupation
That odd looking kind of round piece is all cut up and is supposed to be inside that round carrier piece on the far right. Here is a close up. Unfortunately an iPhone is not the best kind of camera for this type of work.

IMG_1714.JPG

The piston is a little roughed up as well but you can't feel the wear.

IMG_1713.JPG

It's my friend's job and he is afraid there is a lot more and was expecting up to pull the pump and all the injectors. We still might but I told him to get a new transfer pump first and we will see if that will make the engine run. We have time to get to the expensive stuff later.

John C.

Occupation
My friend called me this evening after replacing the transfer pump. It did the trick, the machine is up and running now. Thanks for all the help to all those that contributed.

John C.

PEVO

stupid question: you did check your engine oil level to see if the transfer pump wasnt filling up the crankcase with diesel?

John C.

Occupation
It's a good question. The oil was black and thick and apparently hadn't been changed in a long time.