• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6C S/N 10K9369 Transmission slips after 3 to 4 hours

Steven Coons

Hey Guys,
I bought this D6C last year and I have put a new Radiator pulley and belts. I have also installed a new Transmission pump on it. It works great for 3 to 4 hours and the temps on water and transmission are good. When you put it into forward it won't move. and then you put it into reverse and then forward it will work again . I need to know what I need to check to fix this problem Any help would be app

dozr

Occupation
excaving
i would start by checking linkage on shifting lever, then filter there are two one is a magnet one filter,then start checking presser on clutch packs. but if you can go to reverse then forward will likely be linkage.

absoluteyukon

Occupation
Fixin' junk.
It is also possible that your xmsn is slipping once the viscosity of the oil is decreased at operating temperature, check your powertrain filters for contamination (metal or friction disc material), you should also check the xmsn suction screen (this is where the majority of coarse material is caught before heading to the powertrain pump). Here is the procedure:

Remove Transmission Magnetic Screen (Power Shift)

start by:

a) remove floor plates

1. Remove the oil from the transmission and the bevel gear case.

2. Disconnect oil tube (2) from housing (1).

3. Remove four nuts (3) and washers that hold the housing to bracket (4). Remove the magnetic screen and the housing.

Install Transmission Magnetic Screen (Power Shift)

1. Put the magnetic screen (2) and housing (1) in position on the bracket. Install the four nuts and washers that hold the housing in position.

2. Connect oil tube (3) to the housing.

3. Fill the transmission and bevel gear case with oil to the correct level. See LUBRICATION AND MAINTENANCE GUIDE.

end by:

a) install floor plates

Disassemble Transmission Magnetic Screen (Power Shift)

start by:

a) remove transmission magnetic screen

1. Remove tube assembly (5) and magnets.

2. Remove element (4) and the spring washer from housing (2).

3. Remove cover (1) and seal (3) from the housing.

Assemble Transmission Magnetic Screen (Power Shift)

1. Install a new seal (5) in the housing.

2. Install cover (2) and four nuts (1).

3. Install the ring, element (3), tube assembly (4) and magnets.

end by:

a) install transmission magnetic screen

reg00856a00110.jpg reg00856b00110.jpg reg00856c00110.jpg reg00856a00111.jpg reg00856a00110.jpg reg00856b00110.jpg reg00856c00110.jpg reg00856a00111.jpg

Black, fibrous material will be friction disc failure, steel could be the reaction plates, teflon would indicate a failed piston seal. Regardless, any large amount of contaminants in the suction screen generally means it's time for a major overhaul.

As a side note, if you know how old the powertrain oil is and want to reuse it in case you find there is no suction screen contamination then carefully drain the oil into clean pails for reuse (not recommended procedure but if you are clean and careful and the oil has low hours then you can save yourself a few bucks).

Good luck!

Last edited: