• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6C Final Drive Sea

Metalman 55

Thanks for the reassurance Bluox. As with may subjects, there are a wide array of opinions on this subject & I understand that. Different people have different experiences & try to reflect what has worked best for them & they in turn pass that information along to help others. I appreciate the comments from both sides.

Hobbytime

Ok, we revised the original order from genuine cat & decided to go with Cat Classic. Ordered the gear, pinion & ring.

Also, we may regret this, but decided to reuse the bull gear & to put in back on the opp side of the machine.

We did some work in the bevel gear compartment about 2 or three years ago & the mechanic saw the same markings on the bull gear through the pinion shaft hole when the pinion was out & said it looked the same. Note, when swapped to the other side it will be on the reverse side when engaging.
for all the time and $$ you are spending now, how much more to get new replacement bull gear and related parts? and if it did let loose, how much will you chew up in new components and more older parts once you get bigger chunks of metal floating around, bite the bullet and get the new parts and sleep well at night...I think most would go that route with all you have done already..

Metalman 55

Here we are with the sprockets going back on today. I was not there..........just curious, is the 8M9010 Sleeve just a piece of pipe, or is there some fancy machining inside of it?
The mechanic said the Cat guy was not there long doing it.

Attachments

• Resized_20171113_093556.jpg
    Resized_20171113_093556.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Resized_20171113_093616.jpg
    Resized_20171113_093616.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 163

Metalman 55

Well, we got things put back together in the D6C Finals & finally got around to picking the machine up a few days ago from the repair place. Today was my first time to try it out & so far all looks ok......no leaks from the finals on either side. I worked the dozer hard for about 5 hrs leveling some fill piles that were alongside one side of the farm driveway that we worked on widening last summer. With the driveway frozen it worked ok to just push 1/2 of the fill across the laneway then knock it down to meet the new raised elevation to blend things in. Some places on the pile had a frozen crust about 15" think on the piles, so it took some doing to crunch them down.

Not so cold here today, so good for working! It has been mighty cold here for the last 10 days or so.

Attachments

• 20180109_151024.jpg
    20180109_151024.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 129
  • 20180109_151048.jpg
    20180109_151048.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 123

Metalman 55

Have been using the D6C for pushing the snow piles back here in Ontario & so far the final drive repairs are holding. Hope it continues!

Attachments

• Entrance Cam - BCM_aimetis - 2018 01 17 - 16 34 05.jpg
    Entrance Cam - BCM_aimetis - 2018 01 17 - 16 34 05.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 92

Vetech63

The classic parts are not as good as they used to be. Ive bought the classic precups and they snap off in the head before you get them torqued down. You can get away with classic on a lot of things, but I wont use them if they need a lot of torque, or are used in high torque operations. Just my experience and Ive been doing this crap for 30+ years.

oldirt

I rebuilt a final in my 6D three years ago, put all classic gears in it except the pinion was cat. it ran exactly 100 hours and the intermediate gear flaked off wrecking it and the bottom big ring gear. there was no warranty on any of this. I put in new cat gears. do not buy cat "classic" anything.

Metalman 55

There is a wide variety of options on this subject, that's for sure! I guess some have good luck with the Cat classic & others not so lucky. If a failure like Oldirt had happen occurs, that would leave a bad taste!

Metalman 55

Pulled the bottom drain plugs on both sides of the finals today after logging about 30 hrs on the machine, some of it heavy work, following the winter rebuild, to do an inspection. These are the results. They were both about the same, a llittle bit of debris on each. Nothing big for chunks. I wonder if this looks like an acceptable amount?

Attachments

• LH Final.jpg
    LH Final.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 110
  • RH Final.jpg
    RH Final.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 107

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Without going back through the thread IMHO what's on the plug right now could be very dependent on how well they were cleaned when they were torn down for rebuild. If I saw that on a component we'd installed I'd be having kittens because I know how clean everything is when it's rebuilt/reassembled. Very much a YMMV I think.
I agree with you. No large lumps so possibly most/all the paste is from the previous failure.
Clean the plugs, run the machine another 10 hours or so and take another look at them would be my advice.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That looks pretty normal on a rebuilt unit if you used new gears and stuff. I'd probably refill and run it a couple of hundred hours before dumping the oil again to recheck them. If you are nervous take an oil sample in ten or twenty hours.

Did you save the oil and plan on putting it back in or putting new oil back in now?

Metalman 55

Actually I had some extra drain plugs & did a "quick exchange" loosing a quart or two on each side with a catch pan underneath, just in case! Then just topped it up. Good idea to sample soon as well.

Metalman 55

Did the oil sampling in the finals today & they are being sent to the Cat dealer. Ran the machine for a few hrs first to hopefully include any suspended particles present, if any.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
There is a slim chance the sample could come back with high iron. Take note of the ppm and resample in 50 or 60 hrs. That will set a baseline.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Nearly all the final drives I have taken samples on came back with high iron.

Take a sample now and then check in 100 hours. Look for silicon which will indicate dirt is getting in.

oldirt

just fyi, my post above was actual experience, not just my "opinion". you won't need to check except at change intervals now, if it grenades like mine did you will definitely feel it. best of luck..

Metalman 55

Here is the oil sample results taken from the finals on the D6C dozer. It only had about 35 hrs on it since the finals were rebuilt, when the sample was taken. I am not sure how clear the report is for reading? Everything looks ok according to the report. Maybe run it another 100 hrs & resample?

Attachments

• D6 Oil Samples_Page_1.jpg
    D6 Oil Samples_Page_1.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 3956902_10K6516#2-43_N020-48142-0191_NAR_Page_2.jpg
    3956902_10K6516#2-43_N020-48142-0191_NAR_Page_2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 16