• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6C Fan Belts Twisting

dozr

Occupation
excaving
sounds like your man has been there he is doing what i have in past. i even made a puller to do with out pulling raditor can be done just takes time.and yes on seal too.

56wrench

just a random idea, but on hard to get or discontinued pulleys and sheaves, If there is enough material, i have re-machined the grooves. the only problem is that after machining, the original belts may be too long requiring the use of shorter belts. also the reduced pulley diameter can cause a slight change of shaft speed but its usually not an issue

Metalman 55

just a random idea, but on hard to get or discontinued pulleys and sheaves, If there is enough material, i have re-machined the grooves. the only problem is that after machining, the original belts may be too long requiring the use of shorter belts. also the reduced pulley diameter can cause a slight change of shaft speed but its usually not an issue

Sounds like new pullies for top & bottom are in the works from what I have heard.

Stay tuned...….:)

nicky 68a

I’m abit late to this party chaps,but you’ve probably figured out by now that all your pulleys are Infact worn out.
All three need replacing.
I’ve found non Cat pulleys readily available and have stood the test of time.
I would also insist in forking out for genuine Cat belts.
Non genuine Cat pulleys are fine,but make sure you buy genuine Cat belts.
Your other option is to keep messing about for the next few years getting it wrong.
I’ve learned the hard way.

Metalman 55

Ok, back on the pulleys...…..were able to get a new after market crank pulley as well as a good used Cat fan pulley & Tony & I got back at it today.:)

We fashioned a home made puller from a scrap of steel & some puller parts he had in his arsenal…..they worked & we didn't have to pull the rad! Crank pulley came off easy! We didn't change out the crank seal however, as it was soft by the feel & Tony thought it may prove a challenge to reach in past the front mount bracket......not a huge job to get off if it does go bad....

Attachments

• 20200818_124919.jpg
    20200818_124919.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 20200818_153155.jpg
    20200818_153155.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 43
  • 20200818_140934.jpg
    20200818_140934.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44

Metalman 55

Now would be a good time to take the alternator off and see what is the matter with it.
Bob
Alternator pulley problem has been solved now we think. I have owned this machine for about 7 yrs & it had an incorrect pulley on the old alternator...….ordered the correct one & it is on now.

Metalman 55

All back together now!
Note our way around of lifting the HEAVY $%&*# of a front belly pan on!!

Attachments

• 20200819_080348.jpg
    20200819_080348.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 20200819_105929.jpg
    20200819_105929.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 55
  • 20200819_112617.jpg
    20200819_112617.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55

etd66ss

I worked on my D6C fan pully a while back. It has some endplay so replaced the bearings. The grooves in my pully looked good to me, no wear in the root, had rust etc. One of the reasons I dug into that part of the machine was a belt squeak/squawk when I'd kill the engine. http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.php?30333-D6C-10K-engine-squeak-when-shutting-off&highlight=

Pics of my project for reference to anyone else working on this in the future: https://imgur.com/a/N2rdh7C

I will say, the new belts sat lower in the grooves than the old belts. Neither set of belts were CAT belts...

As you can see from the pictures in that link, the endplay wore a groove in the pully shaft support. Bearings were fine, keeper plate bolts were loose...

Last edited:

Metalman 55

My fan bearings were in excellent shape yet. Changed the fan seal while it was apart though.

When we were working on it we were wondering what the recommended grease intervals were for the fan. We do it about every 50 hrs or so. Anyone know?

Changed the belts out again with the new pulleys going on even though there was only 40 hrs on the last ones...…..new ones set about even with the outside of the pulley.

nicky 68a

Looks like a good result and fair play for getting the crank pulley off with the rad in.
As for greasing it,a couple of shots every 250 hours or twice a year for an old hobby horse.
They do not like being over greased