• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

grandpa

Well Steve, my wife has been work hardened. Lol. Had a D4H that the transmission went bad. She says to me "what do you think that repair will cost"? I said it will be 20k before were done. She got the bill in order and said "You were wrong"? It came to $19,993. So good luck with the wifey deal, they are all different,,, some from day to day..ha ha.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When I bought my Allis 'junker' for little to nothing wife was clearly upset I would buy such a machine, then the repairs started to add up, she just got madder. I worked to get the machine functional enough to dig our house foundation site and do some land clearing(farm expense use) and then had to buy a second unit for spare parts no longer available. She has not left me but has been close. I have more in the machine than is really worth but also save a couple grand in each use over contracting out even with repairs. I am getting to where it is almost as functional as potentially possible where once there I will sell it off for what I can get and look for something newer/cleaner knowing full well they're all old iron, prone to breakage and inevitably costly.

D6c10K

Hey d6c 10k,
Where do they have these sales? I would be very interested in knowing where and when the next one comes around. I am ready to pull the engine out tomorrow morning. After pressure washing it, I will be able to make a decision on what to do with it. I will not spend $25,000 on an engine, no matter how much I use it. My wife is barely talking to me anyhow! That would send her through the roof! !!

Government Liquidation.com Did a search for "3306" and came up with 3 engines. The one on the test stand looks to be nice....who knows about the other two as they look to be take-outs. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=results&fromsearch=true&words=3306

The one on the test stand is a direct injection engine so you would probably need to use your head....unless yours is direct injection. There are NO guarantees what condition the engine is in...you are buying it "as is".
Others on here may have a better idea if there are any issues with using the short block from a unit like this in a dozer.

When buying from Gov't Lic be sure to READ CARFULLY all the buying requirements such as, buyer's premium, payment type, removal requirements, removal dates, facility access, etc. THEY MEAN WHAT THEY SAY....DON'T EXPECT TO GET AWAY WITH NOT FOLLOWING ALL THE REQUIREMENTS. You have to set up an account in order to bid.
All that said, I have bought several items from Gov't Lic without a problem

There are companies listed on the auction page that specialize in packing and shipping gov't auctions (click "shipping details" tab, then under " Shipping info" select the link "click for more info". You can get a quote from shippers before the auction by giving them the event ID and Lot #

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Government Liquidation.com Did a search for "3306" and came up with 3 engines. The one on the test stand looks to be nice....who knows about the other two as they look to be take-outs. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=results&fromsearch=true&words=3306

The one on the test stand is a direct injection engine so you would probably need to use your head....unless yours is direct injection. There are NO guarantees what condition the engine is in...you are buying it "as is".
Others on here may have a better idea if there are any issues with using the short block from a unit like this in a dozer.

When buying from Gov't Lic be sure to READ CARFULLY all the buying requirements such as, buyer's premium, payment type, removal requirements, removal dates, facility access, etc. THEY MEAN WHAT THEY SAY....DON'T EXPECT TO GET AWAY WITH NOT FOLLOWING ALL THE REQUIREMENTS. You have to set up an account in order to bid.
All that said, I have bought several items from Gov't Lic without a problem

There are companies listed on the auction page that specialize in packing and shipping gov't auctions (click "shipping details" tab, then under " Shipping info" select the link "click for more info". You can get a quote from shippers before the auction by giving them the event ID and Lot #

Just off the top of my head I would say you would be in trouble if you tried to put a pre-chamber head on a direct injection short block. The pre-chamber pistons have a steel plug in the center of the piston as I recall. I think the fire coming out of the pre-chamber might burn a hole in the top of a direct injection piston.

Guess if the price was right and you had time to spend someone could at least get some good parts off the Gov't engine to use rebuilding yours.

Steve.ahlgren85

Hey, thanks a lot buddy,
I will be sure to check it out. Sounds like it might be a good option. Where do the engines come from? Is there any way to find out? It is a little risky, but I am a risk taker.Again, Thanks a bunch! !!

tctractors

NO hot spot inserts in the top of pistons fitted to 333C and 3306 PC engines, I would stick to what engine you have fitted into your tractor, the 3306 pc head is not the same as the 333C item, the crank will fit and so will the rods, rebuild you existing engine and don't waste time messing about.
tctractors.

kshansen

Occupation
NO hot spot inserts in the top of pistons fitted to 333C and 3306 PC engines, I would stick to what engine you have fitted into your tractor, the 3306 pc head is not the same as the 333C item, the crank will fit and so will the rods, rebuild you existing engine and don't waste time messing about.
tctractors.

It's been way too many years since I worked on a D333 or 3306! Guess the ones I remembers were from the D343's in the 988 Loaders and 769 Haul trucks?? Maybe the 3400 Pre-chambered engines too?

D343 piston.png

D6c10K

Hey, thanks a lot buddy,
I will be sure to check it out. Sounds like it might be a good option. Where do the engines come from? Is there any way to find out? It is a little risky, but I am a risk taker.Again, Thanks a bunch! !!

They will be mostly from military surplus. The one on the test stand looks to be for a training application.

kshansen has a good point about compatibility between direct injection/pre-combustion pistons....best way to tell would be to compare part nos. in the parts books. May well have different pistons since that engine is set up for 270 hp.....of course you would want to use your fuel system to get the hp down to where it should be.

I had the head off my 3306 pre-comb engine but can't remember whether it had steel buttons or not.....don't remember any. Can't see any in the photos from my engine assy. manual, but they aren't the clearest pics.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
I had the head off my 3306 pre-comb engine but can't remember whether it had steel buttons or not.....don't remember any. Can't see any in the photos from my engine assy. manual, but they aren't the clearest pics.

I would definitely defer to TCtractors on the lack of the "hot spot plugs" on the 333/3306 engines. Like I said it's been many years since I had the head off on of those.

That said I would not be surprised if there were many other problems with trying to adapt from a direct injection D333 to a 3306. Agree again with TC that the best way forward is to pull the original engine and get to work rebuilding it! Who know the crank might even be salvageable if ground to take under size bearings.Just send it to a good shop for evaluation and get busy washing parts and don't forget to replace that cooler with new OEM, new aftermarket or a reman one! Same with the oil pump!

kshansen

Occupation
If you still have the used oil you might consider lab analysis to see if there are bearing remain in the oil.

No need for analysis just go back to post #76 that will tell all that needs to be know! Pump failed, oil flow stopped, engine stopped, end of story!

Steve.ahlgren85

Yah, I agree. It could be a hornet's nest, trying to swap out parts from another machine. I have everything ready to pull out the engine just need a little more advice. Will the engine ,after disconnecting the differential, oil tubes,clamps holding the oil tubes,engine mounting bolts, pull straight up?Or ,does the engine come forward a little and then up? The engine condition after pressure washing it and having someone tear into it, will tell me if it is worth trying to get running again!Thanks for all your posts. They have been a big help!
Steve

tctractors

Some years ago I rebuilt a D8H engine and it ran for about 4 hours before making one Hell of a Din, with my Butt clench proving painful I worked out it was No6 cylinder playing up, so off with the back head only to find the Hot Spot was loose in the piston (CAT), then off with the side plate and out with the rod, fitted a new piston while relaxing Butt Cheeks and sent the tractor back to work with a total of about 8 hours down time, the Hot Spot nuts I noted on the next engine build I did had been welded? No hot spots on the 333C 3304/6 PC or DI engines.
tctractors

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I have everything ready to pull out the engine just need a little more advice. Will the engine ,after disconnecting the differential, oil tubes,clamps holding the oil tubes,engine mounting bolts, pull straight up?Or ,does the engine come forward a little and then up?

Get a book if you are looking for help at this stage in the game. Pulling a 3000lb assy 10+ feet in the air can be...
If big yellow is gonna overhaul it call and ask for technical assistance.

20161203_064249.jpg

Take some pictures we all want to see how it comes out!!!

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Get a book if you are looking for help at this stage in the game.

Good one DoyleX, I believe I mentioned that up thread. I can never understand folks willing to risk spending big money on repairs and yet begrudging a few hundred dollars on the book to ensure they do it right.

Cheers.