• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
apparently those days are over..

Last time I was in St Cloud it was not a dry town. Quite the opposite. They should be able to get some corporate help to go there. Probably not anyone at corporate old enough to help though.

Steve.ahlgren85

I haven't heard anything from them. I guess that I am just a "peon",small potatoes to them. Can't use it yet anyway ,40" of frost here in Minnesota!!

Vetech63

I haven't heard anything from them. I guess that I am just a "peon",small potatoes to them. Can't use it yet anyway ,40" of frost here in Minnesota!!
Your getting screwed if you ask me. Ide be sitting in front of their facility with a protest sign until they did something, and Ide call the store manager every hour all day, everyday. If that didn't get some kind of result, Ide be having a lawyer call them from now on.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
WOW.. they have the ENTIRE machine, right? & not just the engine??
Steve,, I don't know how to say this any plainer.. ALL THAT should have been checked BEFORE the engine was started.. its THEIR FAULT..
You SHOULDNT HAVE TO PAY 1 CENT for their mistake.. as a matter of FACT.. they should be paying YOU for your down time.!!!
Your gonna get bent over, no matter what you do.. just lettm fix it & THEN>
Do yourself a favor.. pay w/ a CC & AFTER you get the machine back, "dispute" the charges..
Its either that or get an attorney..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I second that thought, a engine overhaul is only complete when it is proven reliable and if they failed to credit ALL the subsystems to provide engine support before releasing then THEY are at responsibility for everything save fluids/consumables.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I second that thought, a engine overhaul is only complete when it is proven reliable and if they failed to credit ALL the subsystems to provide engine support before releasing then THEY are at responsibility for everything save fluids/consumables.
Guess I have to agree on this also! As I believe I have said somewhere back in this thread our local Cat dealer, the last I knew, required that the radiator be removed and cleaned for a machine they were doing an engine rebuild on.

The last one I was involved in was, I believe, a 769C truck. We removed the engine and sent it to the dealer to be rebuilt. Before they had it ready they informed us that radiator need to be gone through. They did not do the radiator themselves as we also used the same shop they used for their radiator work.

After we reinstalled the engine they sent a mechanic out for the first start to check idle speeds and oil pressure.

Unless there is something in writing on your paperwork for the last "rebuild" stating that you were responsible for insuring all associated systems such as radiator were in good working condition they should have at the least put in writing a recommendation that you have them serviced.

The Pumpguys suggestion to pay any bill they toss at you with a credit card could be a good way to get someone on your side with a little leverage. Now if they eat the bill for all the work but ask you to foot the bill for having the radiator cleaned I guess I would not see a major problem with that but the loss of use of the machine due to their neglect should come into play!

Last edited:

Steve.ahlgren85

Well,they said that they were going to help ,so we will have to see. Their conclusion of the engine failure was due to overheating the engine, plugged radiator. I told them that you guys said that the machine shouldn't have been sent out without checking out the radiator, service manager said that they ran water through it, that was their checkout of the radiator. The camshaft lifters also showed scratching marks from pushrods ,extreme pushing due to the lack of lubricating oil ,wrong rocker assembly, on the first rebuild, My mistake, so they are placing some of the blame on me. We will see....

Hobbytime

just cut to the chase and buy a big 5 pound jar of Vaseline your gona need it....just by those remarks from the dealer they are passing the buck already...

51kw

I will agree with everyone so far.... you are going to take it in the shorts hard and dry!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I can see paying for radiator repair, I can also see consumable materials as oils, antifreeze and gasket sealants but they come at you with anything else is time to call an attorney.

Welder Dave

How long are you going to have to wait? You should be on them like flies on _hit!!! Sounds like they are grasping at straws trying to avoid their own incompetence.

Vetech63

If I were you, ide be asking for their regional reps contact information. Sometimes you have to go over their heads to get results.