• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

oldirt

re read DoyleX's first paragraph till it sticks. I don't believe they are planning to do you any favors either.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I'm with Old Dirt here, it sounds by your comments the svc manager is hunting for the right combination of IF's that will remove their liability. They failed to validate coolant flow if the radiator was choked, they also failed to explore the non-functional heat indicator BOTH Their problem especially if they did not run the machine to operating temp and verify the rebuild was satisfactory prior to return to customer.

We in my old facilities verified all the above and that a machine was fully functional or called the customer as to OTHER issues prior to release, that evidently did NOT happen here. ALL theirs and if they try to back up on these newly found issues pull your earlier receipt and ask why NOT noted as to those faults in the prior repair as those WOULD HAVE been found for them to call you on and would have cancelled out any warranty IF noted.

Steve.ahlgren85

They will find something other than their mistake to blame this overhaul on. The radiator coolant flows from top to bottom. The seeds would be on the top. WHO overhauls and test runs a engine without a working temp gauge before it leaves? A $80 gauge could have saved the lawnmower shop 20k. They might be preparing to put some blame on you as a overheat, take caution.

Correct barrels in the pump yes, where was the timing? Nozzle size? Fuel rate? Did both pins (flywheel and pump) slide in at the same time? This is something that shoulda been done before ANYTHING came apart and documented. Dose the timing retard as the fuel rate advances? Buddy you have a frankenstein (spacer plate on a pc block) engine and a guy that has worked on a few. Id like to know what part number pistons were used and how they compare cc wise and in the dish. It will change whats going on inside the combustion chamber when you bring the science of combustion together. Good Luck...
To be fair to Ziegler caterpillar, they did replace the heat gauge on the first rebuild, they said that it was not working, although they didn't let me know that it was replaced. The radiator plugged was on the top side, My mistake.
I Really have no confidence in the machine right now. Very hesitant, without a tech there to put it to work again! The shop manager, a really good guy, said that they were going to do a more thorough load check before sending it out. I just can't afford to have this happen again. I told him that. They said that they understand. I am going to need a full warranty, if I keep it.

51kw

As Doylex said, they WILL find enough things wrong to cover their parts cost for the overhaul. The radiator being plugged story is a "fishing " story from them. They replaced the temp gauge at overhaul, but it didn't work? Doesn't make sense to me. When you were telling us about it laboring and blowing black smoke going to the ridgeline. You stated that it seemed warmer than it should be. You didn't say the temp gauge showed it running hot or even warmer than normal. There are so many things that just don't add up with this whole ordeal.

Last edited:

Steve.ahlgren85

Steve, looking at the video you posted in post #514 the temp gauge was not moving which would tell me they are right in the fact that it doesn't work. Now they told you they ran it for a couple hours and did a stall test. The mechanic should have noted that all gauges appear in the normal range. Either they lied on running it or the mechanic lied on the gauge readings. So it did not work when it left THEIR shop after THEIR overhaul. It should have been found and fixed BEFORE it left THEIR shop if the mechanic was competent.
As Doylex said, they WILL find enough wrong for you to pay for that THEIR parts in the overhaul. Zeigler will come out on top of this. Ask them to show you where ALL guage readings were recorded by the mechanic. Then show them the video that shows the gauge didn't work. Ask them how it was reading normal when it didn't work!
The video of my machine running was before I took it up to Ziegler. You are right, and they are right, it wasn't working. I don't know about how they record gauge readings, I just take their word on that they ran the machine for a couple of hours, did a stall test on the machine, everything looked to be good to send out. They are going to replace #1and#6 pistons and cylinder walls.He said that they others can be cleaned up. The engine head might have to be replaced. They are going to completely inspect that too. I just have to trust them!

Steve.ahlgren85

HOW can you run an engine for A COUPLE OF HOURS & not check the temp?? ON A NEW ENGINE O-H!!! It DOESNT HAPPEN..
You check oil pressure & temp CONSTANTLY> thru out the run..!!!!
I don't know what else to say..
They said that they ran it for a couple of hours and heat gauge was normal, no load though,just stall test!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
If the original work they did showed scored pistons and cylinders from over heating why would they have not thoroughly inspected the cooling system? That would have been one of the first things I would have been checking!

Seems I recall they were trying to say the cylinders were scored from oiling problems do to wrong rocker assembly or some such nonsense. Last I knew oil in the valve train area does nothing for lubricating the pistons or liners. I believe myself and others raised questions about piston coolers.

This is sounding like someone cutting corners and not doing a proper repair and now looking for someone else to blame after the fact. Hard to believe if they filled the radiator and rechecked after they warmed it up they would have not noticed crap floating in there. Same as when they tore down engine there should have been signs of crap in the engine if someone was working with even one eye open!

I know our local Cat dealer will not warranty any engine overhaul with out the radiator being disassembled and cleaned by a radiator shop they approve of for that work.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Being blocked that much would have been a bear to get coolant back in, shoulda been swimmers in the drains from the blockages, definite loss of concentration by someone.

Steve.ahlgren85

If the original work they did showed scored pistons and cylinders from over heating why would they have not thoroughly inspected the cooling system? That would have been one of the first things I would have been checking!

Seems I recall they were trying to say the cylinders were scored from oiling problems do to wrong rocker assembly or some such nonsense. Last I knew oil in the valve train area does nothing for lubricating the pistons or liners. I believe myself and others raised questions about piston coolers.

This is sounding like someone cutting corners and not doing a proper repair and now looking for someone else to blame after the fact. Hard to believe if they filled the radiator and rechecked after they warmed it up they would have not noticed crap floating in there. Same as when they tore down engine there should have been signs of crap in the engine if someone was working with even one eye open!

I know our local Cat dealer will not warranty any engine overhaul with out the radiator being disassembled and cleaned by a radiator shop they approve of for that work.
I can't recall that they ch

Being blocked that much would have been a bear to get coolant back in, shoulda been swimmers in the drains from the blockages, definite loss of concentration by someone.
I can't recall that they checked the radiator out on first rebuild. Are you saying that the wrong rocker assembly had nothing to do with the engine failure?I am thinking that the whole problem started with radiator being plugged, improper cooling of the engine.Waiting for the report on the radiator inspection. All I know is that I have had two engine failures and the mystery has not yet been solved. Thanks for your input.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I can't recall that they checked the radiator out on first rebuild. Are you saying that the wrong rocker assembly had nothing to do with the engine failure?I am thinking that the whole problem started with radiator being plugged, improper cooling of the engine.Waiting for the report on the radiator inspection. All I know is that I have had two engine failures and the mystery has not yet been solved. Thanks for your input.

I could be wrong here and if so I would like someone to explain how a problem with oil flow to a rocker arm assembly could cause anything more than excessive wear on the rocker arm, shaft or maybe valve stems.

If there was a wrong match up of rocker assembly to head and or head to block I would expect either lack of oil or in some very extreme case too much oil flow into the rocker cover area. Neither of which I can picture having any effect on the pistons or cylinder liners.

As I recall there is a very large area for oil drain back from rocker cover area in a 3306 engine so I don't see where there could be enough oil staying up in that area to cause a problem of oil starvation to other areas of the engine.

In my opinion rocker arms are not critical in regards to lubrication at least for short periods of time unless they were installed bone dry with absolutely nothing of any kind for lubrication. By critical here, I mean causing an immediate failure of some other area of the engine.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've been inside lots of oddball engines and some have extremely little lubrication to the rocker arms and they still work fine. Like a 2 cylinder Lister where the pistons go up and down at the same time, has solid push rods and just relies on the crankcase pressure pulsations to carry oil mist up to the rocker boxes, no pressure flow to the upper head area at all.