• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

56wrench

correct me if i'm wrong, if this is a pre-cup engine, should it not have the ss heat plugs in the piston crown? they are used to prevent piston damage from the combustion gases out of the pre-combustion chamber. this has been such a long thread I don't remember if it is a direct injection or a pre-cup engine

56wrench

did your original pistons have the heat plugs? they are about the size of a 50cent piece and are bolted into the head of the piston. if you turn the piston over you can see the nut on the underside

Steve.ahlgren85

I guess I don't understand your question..my engine had glow plugs to preheat the engine to aid in starting diesel engine. The second engine has the same preheat glow plugs. I think we are talking about the same thing.

56wrench

no. the plug (or button) is part of the piston. put up a picture of the original piston top. the original piston before the original failure

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
no. the plug (or button) is part of the piston. put up a picture of the original piston top. the original piston before the original failure
56wrench,

I understand how you might have missed it with 725 post on this thread already, but that has already been discussed. Actually I had brought up that thought first myself.

Unlike some of the other Cat pre-chamber engines the 3300 series pistons do not use the steel plugs in the pistons. I believe the D343 3408 and several other did have those plugs in the pistons.

Here are a couple pictures for anyone not sure what is being talked about. The black and white picture is a D399 piston and the color picture is a D343 piston the circle more or less is the plug being referred to.
D399 piston.pngD343 piston.png

Might have to look into this further as I did a Google search on 3306 pistons and some do show up as having the plugs. Might depend on the horse power ratings of the various engines! I did find at least one place where it does at least confirm that pistons are different between direct injection and pre-chamber engines even though the two different pistons do use the same rings!

Last edited:

Steve.ahlgren85

I can't put up a picture because I left the original engine pistons with Ziegler caterpillar in St Cloud. They wanted me to leave it with them. Sorry!

Cmark

Way back from post #203.

20161228_143733-jpg.163654

oarwhat

So If I remember correctly this is a rebuilt long block from another company right? I'm thinking they cobbled the engine together incorrectly!

oldirt

I would say they now owe you a complete motor.. one that is running correctly. they will most likely have to outsource this from a competent engine builder. would be cheaper than all this nonsense. I don't think I would trust them to put it in either.

Steve.ahlgren85

So If I remember correctly this is a rebuilt long block from another company right? I'm thinking they cobbled the engine together incorrectly!
You are correct, it is a longblock engine form Capital Exchange in Denver Co.They are standing by their claim that the engine was assembled correct. They rebuild 300 engines, mostly truck engines, per year and have not had one go bad last year. You are totally correct, this is a mind boggled.
I asked Chris, service manager at Ziegler caterpillar, if they have ever had one that they couldn't figure out. He said no,they eventually figure it out. I am going with that. I need this machine real bad!

Hobbytime

tell zeigler to give you a loaner till they fix your machine since they are now the ones with no clue how to fix it..ill bet that doesnt go over too good, but see what they do...also they are a cat dealership, shouldnt they be able to look up the proper parts that go into that particular engine rather than keep guessing..I worked at a chevrolet dealer back in high school days and any time the mechanics were stumped on something crazy they could call tarrytown ny a training facility for general motors and a tech would come to the dealership to look at the problem and he had direct access to GM engineers and designers to help figure the problem out, I would imagine all companies including cat would have some sort of facility for the same issues, either you ask zeigler about it or contact cat corp and ask for yourself and pass the info to zeigler , it doesnt sound like they are making any headway now, just still guessing..IMHO

Last edited:

Hobbytime

depends on the "training" that their "techs" get.. doesn't it.
thats one reason I would bypass zeigler and go right to cat, again I would think cat would want dealerships to have somewhat properly trained techs..,,or maybe thats just wishful thinking..LOL in the chevy dealer we had A,B and C rated mechanics depending on the training they got from GM, A guys would get the toughest jobs due to their training..

Steve.ahlgren85

tell zeigler to give you a loaner till they fix your machine since they are now the ones with no clue how to fix it..ill bet that doesnt go over too good, but see what they do...also they are a cat dealership, shouldnt they be able to look up the proper parts that go into that particular engine rather than keep guessing..I worked at a chevrolet dealer back in high school days and any time the mechanics were stumped on something crazy they could call tarrytown ny a training facility for general motors and a tech would come to the dealership to look at the problem and he had direct access to GM engineers and designers to help figure the problem out, I would imagine all companies including cat would have some sort of facility for the same issues, either you ask zeigler about it or contact cat corp and ask for yourself and pass the info to zeigler , it doesnt sound like they are making any headway now, just still guessing..IMHO
I might have to do that if it's not up and running soon. They checked and double checked the part #1and and they match up. He doesn't know what else to do if the fuel pump checks out to company specs and the radiator isn't clogged up or plugged with crap.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I'm not sure whom at the dealer is working on it but I personally know two of the mechanics at Zeigler's in St Cloud. They are both top hands. I also know that the shop is full, up past their ears, busy with winter rebuild projects for contractors. They got crawlers torn down between the bays as well as all the bays being full. Standard procedure for winter in all the northland dealers. I think the management is giving you bullsh*t excuses because you are small potatoes compared to their big contractors. Spring will soon be here and then I'm betting all of a sudden they will figure it out.

Steve.ahlgren85

I'm not sure whom at the dealer is working on it but I personally know two of the mechanics at Zeigler's in St Cloud. They are both top hands. I also know that the shop is full, up past their ears, busy with winter rebuild projects for contractors. They got crawlers torn down between the bays as well as all the bays being full. Standard procedure for winter in all the northland dealers. I think the management is giving you bullsh*t excuses because you are small potatoes compared to their big contractors. Spring will soon be here and then I'm betting all of a sudden they will figure it out.
Old iron habit
If you are in St.Cloud, stop in and take a look at the machine. It is in bay#4.Maybe you can figure it out.

Vetech63

I got a feeling your going to get bent over with no lube. :eek: Maybe they did what Ive seen other dealers do. They put cheap ass parts in it, sold them to you as Cat parts at top dollar, and when it failed they have egg on their face. Its happened before..............