• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D61PXi-24 Track Frame Pinion Leak

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
We have a D61 with just under 2000hrs on it. We bought it new and have had the machine under KomatsuCare this entire time. My superintendent got on the machine and began to hear a creak and popping noise coming from below him. He being the knowledgeable man that he is immediately stopped to begin investigating. Thought maybe it was a lack of grease or the tracks needed to be tensioned but none of those solved the issue. The pivot pinion shaft was next up to check. After some cleaning he got the plug off and it was bone dry. We put in a call to Komatsu for the oil type topped it off and ran it to get through the rest of the day. We didn’t know for how long it’s been empty but there were no indications from the outside of a leak having been present. Once our mechanic was able to get there we pulled the cover to check for metal and sure enough it was full of super fine metal particles. It’s now sitting at the dealers yard for repair. They called yesterday to tell me they checked the other side, which did have oil, to tell me it was leaking too. So both sides have to be resealed. I’m going there Monday to get educated on where the leaks were originating from.

So here is my question. What could cause this to happen at such low hours? I’m hearing that there are updates for D51’s of the same vintage, which we also have, that are suffering from the same/similar problem with premature seal failure and have been getting extended coverage for the final drives. This 61 has been well cared for and has only had generally our best operators in the seat. What did we miss here? The men who have been running the machine aren’t so absent minded as to not notice and report a leak. There is concern Komatsu may not stand behind the work because it’s under in hours but just outside on time for warranty coverage. This is probably going to be pricey which I’m not too happy about if they don’t offer to at least help me out some on the bill. Which is unfortunate because up to now, they’ve stood behind their machines and we’ve had nothing but positive comments to make about their iron and service. This would tarnish that if they do indeed throw up their hands and say tough luck.

I just cannot understand how this happens on such a low hour and we’ll loved machine.

Vetech63

Sometimes things get missed from the factory. Its extremely rare but also unprovable in most cases. There should be some type of evidence of a leak or fluid transfer. If not, I would argue that it wasn't checked at predelivery

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Does KomatsuCare do the scheduled maintenance or is that just a fancy name for factory warranted?

coalrulz

Attached is a document that outlines Komatsu Care program for the US and Canada.

Attachments

• Komatsu CARE - Customer Presentation Program Overview Extranet Version with Tier 4 Final Updates.pdf
    354.3 KB · Views: 4

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
First of all, I have to ask what is the model year or the serial number of the machine? I see your statement of it having less than 2000 hours on the clock. I can comment on a couple of things.

I always push the dealers to get the machine fixed and back on the job before doing anything else. I don't make it known but I will refuse to pay for any part of the repair until the machine is back running on the job site.

Next item concerns any billing that might come your way. You don't know at this point if it will or won't be covered by the dealer. In actual fact, the dealers don't cover any warranty as that is a contract between you and the manufacturer. Many seem to feel that they are the keepers of the manufacturer's money though. Find out the name and phone number of the factory rep and try to have a conversation with them. There probably are updates already sent out to address the problem.

There are many arguments you can use as to why you shouldn't be paying for the repair. The first is the common sense approach where you ask them if it seems reasonable that anyone would purchase this machine knowing that the finals fail at less than 2000 hours. You might mention that you have been calling around to other owners of this model asking about their history with the machines. You should make absolutely sure that the sales department personnel are in on all conversations with the service department concerning the repair and make it known that future sales are in the balance if they get stupid and confrontational.

You show being a civil superintendent which I interpret as handling some kind of government entity. If so, that usually carries a significant amount of leverage in your favor. Don't hesitate to use that leverage if needed.

Good Luck!

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
We have a D61 with just under 2000hrs on it. We bought it new and have had the machine under KomatsuCare this entire time. My superintendent got on the machine and began to hear a creak and popping noise coming from below him. He being the knowledgeable man that he is immediately stopped to begin investigating. Thought maybe it was a lack of grease or the tracks needed to be tensioned but none of those solved the issue. The pivot pinion shaft was next up to check. After some cleaning he got the plug off and it was bone dry. We put in a call to Komatsu for the oil type topped it off and ran it to get through the rest of the day. We didn’t know for how long it’s been empty but there were no indications from the outside of a leak having been present. Once our mechanic was able to get there we pulled the cover to check for metal and sure enough it was full of super fine metal particles. It’s now sitting at the dealers yard for repair. They called yesterday to tell me they checked the other side, which did have oil, to tell me it was leaking too. So both sides have to be resealed. I’m going there Monday to get educated on where the leaks were originating from.

So here is my question. What could cause this to happen at such low hours? I’m hearing that there are updates for D51’s of the same vintage, which we also have, that are suffering from the same/similar problem with premature seal failure and have been getting extended coverage for the final drives. This 61 has been well cared for and has only had generally our best operators in the seat. What did we miss here? The men who have been running the machine aren’t so absent minded as to not notice and report a leak. There is concern Komatsu may not stand behind the work because it’s under in hours but just outside on time for warranty coverage. This is probably going to be pricey which I’m not too happy about if they don’t offer to at least help me out some on the bill. Which is unfortunate because up to now, they’ve stood behind their machines and we’ve had nothing but positive comments to make about their iron and service. This would tarnish that if they do indeed throw up their hands and say tough luck.

I just cannot understand how this happens on such a low hour and we’ll loved machine.
There should be service intervals for this , was it serviced on time . How long it is out of time will determine if Komatsu stand by it along with your potential to buy more Komatsu's if its well out of time .

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
It would appear from this document that Komatsu has been to your machine at least 3 times at 500, 1000 and 1500 hrs. before and would have checked if not changed and sampled all oils in your machines....did that happen? If so that should work well for you in this case IMHO, If not why not? either way being under the 2000 hrs, if your Komatsu dealer has any integrity at all, even though it's just timed out it's clear that it was leaking before it timed out, should go to bat for you there....this is where you find out just how well of a relationship you and they have. Again IMHO.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
We picked up the machine and Komatsu and the dealer did help us with the bill. They picked up ~70% of the $10,000 invoice. I’m still puzzled at the failure as are they but none the less it’s repaired and they’ve documented it in their system to keep an eye on. They also had a. Wry quick turn around and they took on our D51 and took care of it under warranty 100% because those machine do have a factory campaign running for this same issue. So in all we got both of our dozers updated/repaired. I’m satisfied with the work and that they stepped up to help us out in a big way on the invoices.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
That's great news, glad it all worked out. Sounds like your dealer appreciates your continued business.