• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5k

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Yall Ive complained to dad about the D5B at work about how old it was and gettin the have a few more break downs not many but usual stuff. Been tryin g to get a cab because of the new more dusty stuff at the lanfill. Dad talked to the owners and whle we were getting the D5's radiator done He called Cat to rent a dozer. THey dont rent a dozer with a radio and none with straight blades. I like the K vor blading but i nrubbish it sucks. We will have to put a spill rack on it. I d rather run my B model its alot more comfortable and controlable to me. THis thing is kinda awkward for the rocker switches on it to.

Im wanting them to find a D6K with a straigt blade and standard pads now. On good thing about this rig is I wont have to wrench on it lol. Anyone one got more than 4 hours seat time on a 5 or 6K? I do like the blade shaker on the K I got in some sticky mud and wagged it off like a dog.

DGODGR

I rented one to finish off a 20,000 sq.ft. pad I built about 2 months ago. It was hard to get used to the new control pattern. I liked the blade shaker too. For some reason the engine did not run rite. It sounded as though it was missing at upper RPMs. I assumed that it had something to do with the new emissions stuff but I was informed that they are not installed on that size machine yet. I think that you may have a hard time finding a straight blade on a finish dozer.

wild11r

I think the D6N is the smallest with a straight blade option which I believe is similar to a D5B Has a better cab, heater, air con, diff steer option new D5's have fixed track frames now days

Beachbum0286

We just got a new 5K. Great machine, it pushes a lot better than the G's and C's we have. The hydraulics are a lot faster. The rocker switch control takes some getting use to but overall I like it. The 5K does not have any new emissions on it yet, that will probably come on the next series.

deerefan

Occupation
operator
We tried out both a 5 and a 6 K, to replace our 650 and 700 deere's. Can't compliment out the pattern since I am used to a hydrostatic machice already. They both were very nice machines, the cabs were very good, very comfortable. The machines look sharp as hell to lol, only think I didn't like was the power of them both, seemed a little lacking in my book, plus the prices were a lil steep for the size of machine. We ended up stickin with some new deere's, best finish dozer out right now imo.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I like the little dozer but the main use will be for pushing rubbish at te landfill. Cat here doesnt have an WDA dozers used. Im going to look at a Komatsu tomorrow. I found out today it was a rigid frame rig, i ran over a block of wood about a 6x6 and it almost put me throught the window. I dressed up all finished lift cover today we were working on in a few minutes.

Its great little machine I dont like the control set up the wheel switchs arent as fitting to me as the Komatsu and Deere Hydros Ive run. I liked my brothers D39P he had. It and the 550 Deere I ran had the setting to step shift it with set speeds THe revers being a little faster backing up was getting me today to. I did find the switch to drop it down a bit. I read the manual on how to program the speeds so Ill try that. THe air filter stopped up 2 times today from the styrofoam pellets we landfill. The compactor does most of the work but its better to knock down with the dozer and spread compacted layers with the dozer along with cover duties.

I told dad this morning the I like the little dozer but its a finish machine. Other than al lthe teasing I got for being stingy with the AC it made the day go by. Id get one of the truck drivers off the phone he was in lala land when he got stuck on top of the ground. I put the blade against the can and shook it. He said it felt like an earth quake.

Cat has a 6K on the lot with a straight blade with a tilt but they are pushing the 5k.