• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5H Overheating

361brock

Occupation
retired
They seem to be riding high enough in the V. If they were slipping for a long time maybe they have glazed over, makes them slippery. I also have a D5H, the trans temp gauge always runs on the hot side since new. When the lights start blinking and horn sounds, it's time to change the filter.

JohnK

Occupation
Retired
VeTech said it best. To recap, we can guess all day and keep throwing parts on it hoping for the best. Four simple temperatures measurements will provide the data needed to determine if the overheating issue is a flow problem or a capacity problem.

Got an IR thermometer and here is what I gathered.

After shutting down the engine these are the temperatures

Top of Radiator - 203ºF
Bottom of radiator - 185ºF
Transmission oil cooler, top - 183ºF
Transmission oil cooler, bottom - 177ºF

These temps sure aren't what the gauges are showing.
trans temp1.jpg water temp.jpg

361brock

Occupation
retired
You have the folded core radiator in that D5H, was told they can be troublesome, but I never had an issue, just keep it clean.

361brock

Occupation
retired
My gauges always run on the hot side but the machine never over heats. Who knows how they're calibrated. It has always been a nice running machine. Have you had any issues with blade not wanting to lift under load yet?

Vetech63

Top of Radiator - 203ºF

View attachment 243029 View attachment 243030
The belts look like hell. I would bet if you replaced the belts and had the correct tension your temp differential in the radiator would be even more. It looks like your gauges / senders are out of sync with the readings your getting with the IR gun.

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Thanks for the data, JohnK.
Looks like a flow issue. I like to see a delta T no higher than 12degree F. from top tank to bottom tank. Considering everything you have mentioned so far, I say it needs a water pump.

Bluox

Top of Radiator - 203ºF

View attachment 243029 View attachment 243030
You need to take temps with engine running.
Take oil temp where oil pipe to cooler comes out of torque converter housing.
Bob

JohnK

Occupation
Retired
My gauges always run on the hot side but the machine never over heats. Who knows how they're calibrated. It has always been a nice running machine. Have you had any issues with blade not wanting to lift under load yet?

No problems with the hydraulics. The blade works really well in all directions under load.

JohnK

Occupation
Retired
You have the folded core radiator in that D5H, was told they can be troublesome, but I never had an issue, just keep it clean.

I had to replace all the seals top and bottom awhile back. One of them started leaking.

JohnK

Occupation
Retired
You need to take temps with engine running.
Take oil temp where oil pipe to cooler comes out of torque converter housing.
Bob

I'll check it out. I need to lift the floorboard anyway. I think I've got a linkage part loose.

Bluox

Got it fixed... I opened up the regulator elbow and found no temp regulator. Put a new one in and now it's not running like it should have.
Why is it you find the problem in the last place you look?
Good deal you win!
Bob

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
thank you for the specs. those temps have to be taken at the hottest engine temp you dare, at or near the thermostat temp won't tell you anything, as the thermostat will not be fully open.
Just had to say... wholeheartedly agree with this :rolleyes:. Have fallen down this rabbit hole recently.