• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5H LGP - hydraulic filter warning / siren

rob lenz

Having trouble with hydraulic filter warning and siren. Serial # 1DD065xx. 1995 model. Any help on how many filters to change - appears 3 of them? One under the floor boards, where are the others? Any other thoughts? Thx

Last edited:

Dave Neubert

If your hyd. filter light is going off then replace the hyd filter in the hyd tank. If it is the trans filter change the trans filter it is normally located in one of the side compartments beside the seat

rob lenz

I looked a bit closer. It’s the transmission filter light I believe, waiting for a manual as an new user and just purchased piece of equipment. Will change the filter and try and find the sump screen I have read about. Thx

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I looked a bit closer. It’s the transmission filter light I believe, waiting for a manual as an new user and just purchased piece of equipment. Will change the filter and try and find the sump screen I have read about. Thx
The trans filter is under the floor, change that first, they seem to bee forgotten over the years by the service people because of the location. If it's been awhile since the last service, I would suction clean the housing to remove the junk that may have fallen off the filter when removed.

Bluox

Transmission screen is in bottom of transmission case and you have to drain oil to remove screen so might as well change oil about 28 gallons.
Bob

Last edited:

rob lenz

The screen was very dirty, predominantly clutch/brake type black material. Obviously wasn’t cleaned in a long time. Any thoughts of the ramifications of this amount of residue? It seems to work fine until the siren / alarm go off. Considering cleaning the screen / new filter and seeing how it works but wondering if more may need to be done.

Dave Neubert

I had a D6H that would clog the filters every 20-39 hrs the steering clutch and brakes were coming apart the materal was black in color had to clean out the housing too

rob lenz

Transmission filter is plugging from small particle black material, I have attached a picture of a large piece that was found in the transmission screen. The machine shifts well and runs really good forward and backward through all gears. The right right steering clutch seems to not work correctly all the time and isn’t as consistent as the left one. Just trying to determine next steps and whether we have transmission rebuild or right steering issue. Or both I guess? Thanks.

Attachments

• 8EFA11D3-CFAA-4B9B-9308-1885FDE4BA40.jpeg
    8EFA11D3-CFAA-4B9B-9308-1885FDE4BA40.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

Crook_Donk

Looks like clutch material but for best guess on whether from trans or steering would require stall check in gear and monitor the driveshaft movement in relation to the machine when moving through the gears. For example If the driveshaft stops spinning when first gear is engaged and at high revs then a good chance the first gear clutch pack is OK. If it spins in second gear and the tractor doesn’t (shouldn’t) move with the brakes engaged, the second gear clutch pack is likely shot. Have a go and report back before deciding it’s transmission vs steering clutch material.

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
It sounds like im having the same problem with my d5h series 2 also if I run it for awhile the tranny alarm goes off the oil is good and clean I’m going to get a filter and change it since I don’t know when it was done last according to cat when we bought it they said everything was good on it also to did you have to drop the belly pan to get to the drain plug and screen for the transmission