• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5 verses D6

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
SAVING OLE YELLOW/ORANGE IRON
What differences are there between a D5 96j and a D6 C like a 10k. I know the 6 has a turbo. Are there chassis differences?

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
One of the biggest differences is the D5 is single reduction gear final drive like the old D6's. The newer D6's are compound reduction gear final drives.
So basically a 96J is a D6 B but with power shift and the 3306 engine? I have a pretty decent D6 9U. But there is a D5 about 5 miles away with head issues and it need segments. Power shift and tilt blade. The owner is in his 90's and finally said he would part with it. I know of the gentleman and he may have bought it new.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
Engine tag says 3306. Hoping to speak with the owner today. His nephew said it was either new on very low hours when he bought it.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
What differences are there between a D5 96j and a D6 C like a 10k. I know the 6 has a turbo. Are there chassis differences?
The hour meter is showing 1177 hours. I believe them the be accurate. The nephew said they just got done with some fence rows and started blowing white smoke. Thought the blew a head gasket. It has be sitting for at least 17 years. I pulled the dip stick and looks like grease on the bottom couple inches of the stick.