• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5 hydraulic hose help

chrism

20200404_102419.jpg 20200404_102310.jpg I blew a hydraulic hose on the inside of my 60-70 ish Cat D5. It goes from a 4 junction block in the engine compartment with two hoses from each side going out to the lift arms. There was a metal part number band on it stamped LO 8S4531. I have attached a picture. I cant seem to find where to get a replacement and its semi rigid so I believe the shape is important as it goes out through a hole in the side of the engine compartment. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Jonas302

The ends are reusable Cat can press them off and replace the hose Don't be afraid to price it at the Cat dealer either way they are usually cheaper for me

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
For information of the OP.
Some Cat dealers are going away from reusable XT-3 fittings and instead are manufacturing new hoses with crimped-type end fittings. If you go that route ask them before they quote will they re-use the existing fittings (if possible) or simply build a complete hose using non-reusable end fittings.?

Delmer

And the way things are going, if they won't reuse fittings, you could ask for the old hose back to save 'just in case".

chrism

What's the blade s/n? 8S4531 is not a good number. Could it be a 8S4431?
Yes you are correct 4431. Lots of good info here, I appreciate it! I may see how much all 4 would cost and replace them all. The 4 little bolts that hold the 2 clamps around the hose end are certainly a pain to get to, no way to use a ratchet I could figure out :(

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The 4 little bolts that hold the 2 clamps around the hose end are certainly a pain to get to, no way to use a ratchet I could figure out :(
You actually only need to completely remove 1 bolt to get a hose out. If you look at it the way the clamps are split you remove the bolt in the centre of one clamp and then just loosen the other three. One half-clamp slides out and then the hose slides out of the other half-clamp that remains attached to the block, if you get my drift....... It also makes reinstalling the hose easier because you have a physical "stop" that the hose can butt up against.

Nobody has mentioned it so far but be sure to replace the O-Rings on the ends of the hoses, if you don't they are sure to leak.

When two hoses are mounted on a block like the one you have, sometimes there is a "sequence" to assembly/disassembly and it becomes necessary to remove one hose end (maybe not the one you are after) in order to get at the bolts securing the clamp on the other hose which is the one you are really looking to remove. A wobble socket or a thin-ended ring spanner is your friend in those circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB2

Delmer

A cat dealer should be able to build those hoses from the number, anywhere else will need the old hose, or a measurement as long as there's no hose with two angled ends that have to be aligned correctly. We've already established that the hose is straight, just aged stiff in that shape.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I know Finning here doesn't do the reusable fittings anymore.
Yeah, the XT-3 fittings are now obsolete. In my experience it was very rare if the fitting could be reused anyway. Usually an old one was so rusted inside that it was junk when they pressed it apart.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
You actually only need to completely remove 1 bolt to get a hose out. If you look at it the way the clamps are split you remove the bolt in the centre of one clamp and then just loosen the other three. One half-clamp slides out and then the hose slides out of the other half-clamp that remains attached to the block, if you get my drift....... It also makes reinstalling the hose easier because you have a physical "stop" that the hose can butt up against.

Nobody has mentioned it so far but be sure to replace the O-Rings on the ends of the hoses, if you don't they are sure to leak.

When two hoses are mounted on a block like the one you have, sometimes there is a "sequence" to assembly/disassembly and it becomes necessary to remove one hose end (maybe not the one you are after) in order to get at the bolts securing the clamp on the other hose which is the one you are really looking to remove. A wobble socket or a thin-ended ring spanner is your friend in those circumstances.
If it is the diagonal cut split flange, yes one bolt is enough. The old style you still have to remove two bolts. And you still want to take both halves off to clean the dirt and crud out of the groove for the flange.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
you can use a ratchet just use a 3_8 craftsman swivel socket, may have to break loose i have a extension for open and box end that comes in handy. all old school from d6c days on trans and the ones your working on, good idea on all four only have to wash rad once,and luck did not catch on fire first time.

chrism

Thanks all. Got all the hoses and working on machine. Is there a hydraulic fill procedure to bleed air? I lost a lot of fluid. Also does anyone have the torque specs for the bolts that hold the hose end fittings to cylinder junction?