1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

D4K RRR00416 back up alarm

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by southernman13, Jun 29, 2022.

1. southernman13

southernman13 Senior Member

Retired
    Ours is not loud at all. Basically can’t hardly hear it with the machine runin. The one on our Kubota skid steer is way louder. Something is definitely wrong with the one on our dozer. It’s clean and free of debris that I can see. I’ve even blown it out with air. Same results. Didn’t know if there was some kind of adjustment through the monitor to increase the noise level or if it’s just a bad backup alarm. Also I’m assuming it’s 24 V but I don’t know that for sure I can always put another one on it if I know the voltage to just check it out I think I have an extra one. Just kind of strange I’ve never seen one that the noise level reduced in it everyone I’ve ever seen either worked or didn’t Thanks

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    I can't think of any reason why the volume of a backup alarm would need to be variable.
    The power for the BUA comes from the ECM. You need an electrical schematic.?

3. southernman13

Retired
    Yes that would help fosho. Yeah I know I’ve never heard of one being variable. Thanks Nige

4. BigWrench55

BigWrench55 Senior Member

This may not apply to your machine, but I remember that some back up alarms have two terminals where the hot wire goes. One terminal for a lower decibel and the other for higher decibel.

5. southernman13

Retired
    Now that u say that I have seen em with three terminals. But why were larger in size as well. I’ll look closer but I only remember 2 on this one

6. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

We have some variable volume backup alarms.

Clap your hands near it. If it increases, it's a variable

But, AFAIK, Caterpillar never installed variable volume backup alarms, so, most likely, your alarm is on it's last legs. I've change 4 on Cats in the last year. One had your symptoms, the other 3 were DOA.

BigWrench55 likes this.
  7. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

The one on my service truck is called a smart alarm, it is 12 or 24 volt and adjusts to background noise.
    Clap your hands in front of it while it is beeping and it will get louder .
    I've seen those with 3 wirers and one with a volume switch.
    Bob

BigWrench55 likes this.
  8. southernman13

Retired
    All good info. Thanks I’ll check it out

BigWrench55 likes this.
  9. southernman13

Retired
    We’ll clapping didn’t do chit lol. Can’t see much of the data but I can see it’s 12/24 volt 2 wire. I mean without the machine running it’s fairly loud but it’s not near loud enough when the machine is runnin

10. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

OEM alarm is only 97db
    Screenshot_20220629-155120_Chrome.jpg

11. southernman13

Retired
    That’s it thanks. I could barely see the part number thought it was 170-0990. One digit off!!

12. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

They die, I guess wear out or something. I change quite a few in our rental fleet due to exact same issues you are having. In fact I keep a new one in the bottom of my toolbox for both testing in place of old one and for connecting for troubleshooting in the same manner a lot of people use an old headlight for, just I can hear it on the other side of the machine instead of looking for the light.

southernman13 likes this.