1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

D4H old problems dished off on newbe owner (me)

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by PEVO, Dec 31, 2021.

1. PEVO

PEVO Well-Known Member

Wore azz out UC coming back to haunt me. Chains jumping sprockets. Pushing straight on level ground i would hear a disconcerting "pop" every now and then mostly from left side. But clearing saplings and 6-8in trees off a stock pond berm while turning, slipping gets way worse. i even hear the right side clang every now and then. Tracks are not loose, adjusters almost retracted. I thought chit...final drive gears...but after inspecting the sprockets i can see evidence that the chains have been in every socket by seeing formed packed mud in each one...that also shows how bad the mesh is between the chains and sprockets.

It was pointed out to me by a long time member here that my UC was way worse that i thought. (after i bought it thou).
    chains are stretched, in fact i only have 37 links per side (should be 39). Somebody put new sprocket segments on both sides then traded it soon after.

Looks like im looking UC parts now. Suggestions on chains, SALT etc. New track pads or weld grouser bars on. Rollers etc.

May even consider a decent set of used tracks since its just a farm dozer and does not get much use anymore. Will have to address rollers and idlers too.

Advice and suggestions?? thanks
    1.jpg

2. nicky 68a

nicky 68a Senior Member

Your links do look goosed.Can’t be far away from a snapped link and you don’t want it rolling up under the fender.
    For that age tractor,you can happily consider non genuine cat tracks

3. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
  4. catman13

catman13 Senior Member

refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
  5. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Don't run it popping thats how finals are ruined

Nige likes this.