• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4D Crankshaft neededm 3304 engine

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hi Folks, I purchased a local D4D last fall that had been partially torn down because of a knock in it. It has the 3304 in it. The fellow that bought it, a pretty knowledgeable mechanic thought it was just a fuel knock. Well to make a long story short he ended up pulling the pan and found a rod bearing in the oil pan. Not having the time or desire to fix it, it as these things seem to happen, it ended up in my shop. I got it pulled apart and the crank is cracked and non repairable. Looking for a crank or possibly a complete engine and/or combo in between.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
good luck i have two runing one with spun main, but want to keep for parts for my two 5h and 951 loader, mite try greenville head and block in greenville they helped me before i got my parts stace.

crane operator

There's several 3304 crankshafts on ebay, some used, some new. Looked like $500-1,000 for most of them. Do you have a part # ?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
There's several 3304 crankshafts on ebay, some used, some new. Looked like $500-1,000 for most of them. Do you have a part # ?

EDIT. I believe the part number is 4N-7692. My pars book is with the machine but looking on eBay every 3304 rebuilt crank lists this number. I did find a fresh ground one ready to go at a machine shop that specializes in cranks. They want $800.00 plus shipping. My mobile Cat mechanic friend thought that was quite high. What do you guys think. No bushings provided with the ground one and as of tonight I don't know how much it is under.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I did find a fresh ground one ready to go at a machine shop that specializes in cranks. They want $800.00 plus shipping. My mobile Cat mechanic friend thought that was quite high. What do you guys think.
All I can tell you is that from the Big C a Reman one is $4200 (020 or 030 under) and a new one is $4800. Also without bearings.

Old Magnet

4N-7692 is the recommended field replacement but you need the crankshaft casting number if your going shopping for other 3304 units. Also check your parts manual for other s/n related units eg: 83J3432 to last built can be a 2P-6214 or 4N-7695 part number crankshaft.