1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D400e series 2 shifting issues

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by rmllarue91, Oct 13, 2018.

1. rmllarue91

rmllarue91 Senior Member

field technician
    Hey hef I got a 400e 2 8ps8?? Not often few times a day best when switching directions truck won't come out of that gear either forward or revease. Never will it stay in neutral. When shifter moved to forward or reverse. But can get stuck in forward or reverse. No codes related to shifting. Not knowing these I thought if computer wasn't throwing a code saying the shifter position didn't match transmission position it was probably the in cab shifter position sensor. Changed that no luck. I am thinking about changing the sensor on transmission .338-1462 but don't like throwing parts at it. BUt without a book and no codes firgured might be a good time to turn to the form. Was told this transmission is really close in design to early 740s any truth to that? Thanks

2. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

If you put the EMS into submode 6, you can monitor the shift lever position vs the actual transmission gear position.

The transmission position sensors (AKA shift card) do give trouble and have gone through several updates. If you suspect it, start by looking at the harness connector on the sensor. Check for corrosion, loose pins on the sensor and loose sockets in the connector.