• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

d3c

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
im looking at buying a d3c series 2 ( Ser- 4hj00216 ) ( 4800 HRs ) I have test run it ( it was about 45 degrees out )and when I first started it and let it run for a few minutes and put it in first it would not move until I gave it almost full throttle and it was sluggish , and as I ran it for about 10 minutes it started shifting better at lower RPMs , is this normal or is something tired in it ?

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
I’ve seen it happen when it was real cold out 15 and under. Shouldn’t happen at 45. Did it get better when machine warmed up?

catman13

Occupation
maybe, when I looked at the cat I checked the oil and it looked good. maybe a good oil change would fix it . I spoke to the renter where the cat is sitting and he said he has seen it out of the shed 4 times just to grade the driveway and he has been there for 10 years.

pp13bnos

My D3 II is fairly sluggish when first running too. It'll move in a straight line, but you'll have to give it at least half throttle in order to get it to turn. I've done the regular transmission maintenance of the years, but no change. Its been like that since I bought it at 4k hours. It now has 5.5k or so hours on it. When everything gets up to operating temp, everything is great.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
maybe, when I looked at the cat I checked the oil and it looked good. maybe a good oil change would fix it . I spoke to the renter where the cat is sitting and he said he has seen it out of the shed 4 times just to grade the driveway and he has been there for 10 years.
If it's been that little used in 10 years you can probably bet that it's a good while since the oil & filter was changed. The D3C application seems to be one of the cases where a multigrade TO-4 might be the best thing in order to avoid issues when the transmission is cold. Something like the attached, but not necessarily Cat branded oil.

Attachments

• Cat TDTO-TMS.pdf
    239 KB · Views: 5

catman13

Occupation
thanks for the information guys, I think I will buy it and completely service it add the oil per Nige recommendation see how it turns out.

Bluox

thanks for the information guys, I think I will buy it and completely service it add the oil per Nige recommendation see how it turns out.
I think when you price that synthetic multi weight oil you may change your mind ,besides that chart says 30wt is fine for 40 degrees .You may want to pull the filter and if it looks gummy put in a new filter and a couple of gallons of diesel ,run the machine a couple of hours then change oil & clean screen.
Good luck
Bob

Welder Dave

I was advised to put 10-30 TO-4 in my 931B so it would be good for year round use. When it's cold it does take a little more throttle to move but I don't like to rev it too high till it warms up pretty good. Once the temp gauge comes up a little then I'll run it up to full throttle.