• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3C washer fell out as i was draining steering clutch

Sethmill

Hello, i have a D3C Series III , SN 6SL01660 , as i was draining the steering clutch oil a washer fell out into the pail, It is approximately 7/16 I.D.x 1 3/16 O.D. x 1/8 thick, possible cotter pin fell out on brake band actuator housing ?

Sethmill

wondering if anyone knows what that washer could have fell off of inside that housing, It's going to have to come apart either way .... It was still steering fine, found it doing regular maintenance

MattR

If it steers fine I wouldn't jump the gun. It could have fallen in during it's last reassembly accidentally. I have had it happen. Post a pic of the washer to help determine it's original home.

Sethmill

Thanks everyone ! Nige sent me a diagram of the possible location of that washer, he was correct, it came off the clutch cylinder to fork connection, i was able to see it missing with a small mirror going through the small brake lever housing, i tried prying it away and couldnt see any movement, im going to chance running it like this, i suspect it wont be a problem, of course there is a bolt rolling around in there......Anyways if that track acts weird, i will have to dive in immediately...Thanks again !

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you found that it was from where I thought it was from then there ought to be a bolt somewhere in the bottom of that case........for everyone's info it's washer #14. If it came out then bolt #20 should be lying in the bottom and just never made its way to the drain plug hole.

upload_2020-1-19_18-1-58.png

MattR

And if it's never been disassembled before..?
I've found all sorts of items in cases before. Tools, bolts, rings, etc. Being a tractor of it's age, I'm sure it's been apart before. But never know. Best to be safe. Glad it worked out.