• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B Need engine Block

asleiman

Hello all,
Looking for Expert Assistance. Going to need and engine Block or a good shop to repair it.
My D3B engine been in the machine shop since Feb . main issue was Center cam bearing spun and corrupted the bearing bore. The shop hesitating about boring the cam bearing saddle and sleeve it.
a safe way is to find a block. Personally I am leaning to sleeve option

Thank you for your support

asleiman

D Miller
I agree with you . I had a death in family I was out for about 3 weeks, I was not pressing. Now I back I am going to press

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know years back somehow the company got a good deal on a used genset with a natural asperated 1710 Cummins. Not sure I recall how it must have happened but it had a burned spot on the outside of the block where the rear cam bearing was in the right bank.

We stripped the block for a rebuild and local machine shop bored and bushed the block with out a problem. So if they could do that on a 1710 a little D3b should be easy.

scholzee

A bore at the end would be easier than in middle. You need to through smaller cam bores with a tool to bore bad cam bore bigger. Can be done depends on tooling and experience of shop.

asleiman

Here are some picture that may add some light. The problem can one bore it not mess with the block.? Will the we have enough room and how thin the sleeve can be and still work?

20210419_103117_HDR.jpg 20210419_103211_HDR.jpg 20210419_103346_HDR.jpg 20210419_103240_HDR.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One suggestion is to find the oldest grey haired mechanic and ask him who to do the repair! Not sure if there are many of those guys still around! Back when I was a kid in my 30's there were still plenty of those guys to be found!

asleiman

Last week I met again with the machine for sure he is extremely busy boring rebuilding engine. We discussed the difficulty finding engine and that we don't have choice but to fix it. I think Mr Hansen is right finding that old machinist would be nice. The bore definitely can be sleeved. The trick is not to take much metal out just enough to clean it and freeze drop . and making a lube groove in the sleeve such that it won't starve for oil. Just some thoughts

Welder Dave

Can it just be bored for oversize pistons? IPD 3 ring pistons come oversize up to .040" I believe.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Would not be a good choice, heat of cylinder firing is transferred thru walls to water coolant, thinner walls faster heat transfer and generally a bad case of bore warpage under loads.

Welder Dave

My engine was bored .010" over and no problems in about 1800 hours. Must have enough meat in the block to allow for boring to fit aftermarket sleeves? A D3B wouldn't be under real heavy loads.

56wrench

i had a 3208 bored .040 in a NH combine and it had no problems in 4000 hrs. i finally retired it. mice got into a cyl through the exhaust after it sat for a couple years and rusted a cyl. and then i sold it to a wrecker

asleiman

Hi Welder Dave ,
It is not about the cylinder wall that is the easy part. in the cylinder not bad, but I am planning to sleeve with IPD.
The main issue is the cam bearing saddle. The the middle bearing spun and caused issue. we are going to sleeve the cam bearing the question is how much metal to take out so we are not the valve lifter bore. I think the cam saddle can approached from one side ( so not to disturb the ridge) bore it and freeze drop a sleeve. then bore (clean) all the 3 cam bearing in order to align them. See the Pics above
welcome any suggestion

As I said above the guy is so busy , he had people out with Covid19. now they all back hopefully he will get on it soon

asleiman

Hi Tinkerer Look at this pic
The shop man said when boring the cam he was worried that it will below the cam bore. I don't agree with him

20210602_132245_HDR.jpg