• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B Clutch and cylinder rebuild

AllDodge

Your not kidding when you said there is a lot going on.
Pressure comes in on the same point but the rest is all different

Dave the pool guy

I guess its not really that bad, and not taking into account what my time is worth, and way past what the dozer is worth by now.
Bought $4500
Motor rebuild $6500
Clutches $2750
Cylinders $200 guessing and could probably do my self, just getting the nut off/on the end maybe
Misc $300
Total 14,250 and I have a good dozer, just guessing thats about all its worth
I agree that it’s worth 20 all day long I paid 16500 for mine with new undercarriage but was unaware of steering clutch issue at the time I still think I got a fair deal

Dave the pool guy

As others have said, its best to get everything out of the way, but I had to try and do some without removing all. Still need to drain the lube, and have already dropped wrenches and had to retrieve. Doesn't look like the piston moves the arm much at all, maybe 1 inch at most. The break band looks brand new (never saw a new one) because there is a good 1/4 to 3/8 pad on it
View attachment 204033 View attachment 204034 View attachment 204035 View attachment 204037
I wish my dry clutches looked that clean not oily though that would be bad

Ghunt

As others have said, its best to get everything out of the way, but I had to try and do some without removing all. Still need to drain the lube, and have already dropped wrenches and had to retrieve. Doesn't look like the piston moves the arm much at all, maybe 1 inch at most. The break band looks brand new (never saw a new one) because there is a good 1/4 to 3/8 pad on it
View attachment 204033 View attachment 204034 View attachment 204035 View attachment 204037
Hi thanks for the images of inside the drive. Wondering if you recall when you had it apart.? On the outside of the clutch cylinder in pic above, the bleed screw or bolt… mine is broke off and leaking bad, just wondering if you have any info

Attachments

• caterpillar d3 hydraulic clutch cylinder - Google Search.jpeg
    caterpillar d3 hydraulic clutch cylinder - Google Search.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6

AllDodge

That's listed as a test port, I don't remember loosing it to bleed. Don't remember what the thread is, but I think it's just NPT

Ghunt

I don't know how close the piston is behind the plug
Well I got the plugs out and replaced with o/m from cat.. no more leaks. Thanks for your help. Only issue I’m having now is left steering clutch isn’t locking up. Not sure if I need to bleed the air out of the 300psi system coming from transmission to the clutch cylinder. Or if I need to adjust breaks when I stepped on the breaks today on a downhill only the right track stopped. Any info on adjustments?

AllDodge

The clutch should stay locked up until the clutch cylinder releases it when pedal is depressed. When pedal moves half way down the clutch cylinder disengages clutch pack. When it moves further the brake band engages.

As WD mentioned check the valve and also pedal adjustment