• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B Cat Widow Wonders

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Average auction sale in Machinery Trader is just shy of $13,000 over the last two years. Mechanics can tell you about condition but few can give realistic ideas of price unless they also buy and sell on their own.

I did this for a living for years so can provide some pointers. I have developed a rating scale for this stuff. The first part of the rating means it has to be operational to some point. Fully operational means everything works as designed. Operational means that it starts and can do most of what it is meant to do but has some problems and if all it does is runs but has lots of expensive problems I call it a runner. In the case of this machine, it is most likely a runner because of its age alone. I compare what I see of the machine against what I have seen in the past. I put condition statements based on what I would expect to see in a comparable machine. Those ratings are better than expected, expected and worse than expected.From the photos you have posted I see a blade face that is pushed in. From that I can infer that the blade linkages are sloppy. I can't hear the engine or know the condition of the transmission so from what I know of that particular model and your statements and that it has been sitting for some period of time. I know all the machines of that era are going to have some issues with those, so I will say your machine is no better than what i would expect to see in any other machine of that vintage.

Average auction price does not include the costs associated with transportation, any prep work such as filling oils, draining water from the fuel tank and putting new diesel in or any electrical issues that might affect operation. Taxes are not included in reported auction sales. Neither are commissions. So at any rate you can ask anything you want but I would say to expect offers of no more than $11,000 or less. Everyone now has access to on line listings of retail and auction numbers and knowledgeable buyers will work through the same process I just explained. You could consign it through a dealer and let them do the marketing. That will take some time but you might get a better deal than through an auction or directly from a private buyer. When I was working for a Cat dealer we never got more than $10,000 for that model of tractor.

BCLINE

Average auction sale in Machinery Trader is just shy of $13,000 over the last two years. Mechanics can tell you about condition but few can give realistic ideas of price unless they also buy and sell on their own.

I did this for a living for years so can provide some pointers. I have developed a rating scale for this stuff. The first part of the rating means it has to be operational to some point. Fully operational means everything works as designed. Operational means that it starts and can do most of what it is meant to do but has some problems and if all it does is runs but has lots of expensive problems I call it a runner. In the case of this machine, it is most likely a runner because of its age alone. I compare what I see of the machine against what I have seen in the past. I put condition statements based on what I would expect to see in a comparable machine. Those ratings are better than expected, expected and worse than expected.From the photos you have posted I see a blade face that is pushed in. From that I can infer that the blade linkages are sloppy. I can't hear the engine or know the condition of the transmission so from what I know of that particular model and your statements and that it has been sitting for some period of time. I know all the machines of that era are going to have some issues with those, so I will say your machine is no better than what i would expect to see in any other machine of that vintage.

Average auction price does not include the costs associated with transportation, any prep work such as filling oils, draining water from the fuel tank and putting new diesel in or any electrical issues that might affect operation. Taxes are not included in reported auction sales. Neither are commissions. So at any rate you can ask anything you want but I would say to expect offers of no more than $11,000 or less. Everyone now has access to on line listings of retail and auction numbers and knowledgeable buyers will work through the same process I just explained. You could consign it through a dealer and let them do the marketing. That will take some time but you might get a better deal than through an auction or directly from a private buyer. When I was working for a Cat dealer we never got more than $10,000 for that model of tractor.
Wow!! Thank you so very much for taking the extended time to explain all of this. I’m getting ready to try to post it today. I was told by the mechanic he would try to get 10k to 12k so I know you are spot on. Thank you again!

BCLINE

Gentlemen, I TRULY appreciate everyone’s efforts, time, research & words brought to the table on this matter. We were asking $12,000 but knew we would take $10,000. My neighbor wanted to buy it and offered me $10,000 cash for the dozer & $500 cash for the Farmall. Sold to him this morning. Very thankful for everyone here!!