• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D37ex-21A blowing smoke

josephny

My 2005 D37 with about 3000 hours started burning oil -- every so slightly blue-tinted exhaust smoke and rapidly lowering of oil level.

I was hoping there was a leak in a pipe/hose (despite the smoke coming out of the exhaust) because I think it also came out the front (by the radiator).

But I could not find any leak, except where the flexible (rubber) host meets the metal host on the oil cooler.

So I removed the turbocharger and exhaust header that is part of the turbocharger to see if blue smoke is coming out of the engine and I think (pretty sure) it is.

Is there anything left to inspect, examine, test, look at, etc., before concluding there's a problem either in the engine head or pistons?

Thank you!

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
My 2005 D37 with about 3000 hours started burning oil -- every so slightly blue-tinted exhaust smoke and rapidly lowering of oil level.

I was hoping there was a leak in a pipe/hose (despite the smoke coming out of the exhaust) because I think it also came out the front (by the radiator).

But I could not find any leak, except where the flexible (rubber) host meets the metal host on the oil cooler.

So I removed the turbocharger and exhaust header that is part of the turbocharger to see if blue smoke is coming out of the engine and I think (pretty sure) it is.

Is there anything left to inspect, examine, test, look at, etc., before concluding there's a problem either in the engine head or pistons?

Thank you!
Try removing the air cleaner filters and see if it still smokes . 3000 hrs is low for a worn motor if its been looked after

josephny

Try removing the air cleaner filters and see if it still smokes . 3000 hrs is low for a worn motor if its been looked after

Removed the air filter and still have blue'ish smoke from exhaust.

But I also have it from the underside of the engine compartment. This is consistent with seeing it come out the front of the engine compartment (by the radiator) also.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Blue smoke from a Komatsu engine is normal when the engine is warming up but should clear out quickly. Many times it can be caused by a bad fuel injector. It was common for them to start slobbering a little around those hours, especially if they ever got a shot of water through them. Running with a slobbering injector for any amount of time can cause wash down on the cylinders and possibly a lack of lubrication and scoring on the rings, pistons and cylinders. Smoke coming from below the engine is usually from the breather tube and may indicate a loss of compression in one or more of the cylinders. You can pull the dipstick and see it as well. Blow by pressure can be measured with a manometer and should be less than one inch of water at full speed and full load. A 2005 model engine may have positive crankcase ventilation though which would mean there is no breather tube and if so, smoke from under the engine would be a real bad thing.

josephny

Blue smoke from a Komatsu engine is normal when the engine is warming up but should clear out quickly. Many times it can be caused by a bad fuel injector. It was common for them to start slobbering a little around those hours, especially if they ever got a shot of water through them. Running with a slobbering injector for any amount of time can cause wash down on the cylinders and possibly a lack of lubrication and scoring on the rings, pistons and cylinders. Smoke coming from below the engine is usually from the breather tube and may indicate a loss of compression in one or more of the cylinders. You can pull the dipstick and see it as well. Blow by pressure can be measured with a manometer and should be less than one inch of water at full speed and full load. A 2005 model engine may have positive crankcase ventilation though which would mean there is no breather tube and if so, smoke from under the engine would be a real bad thing.

Sounds like there's a chance I have a bad injector.

I tried to find the right part number, but there's contradictory info online.

Does anyone have the correct injector part number?

Thanks!

John C.

Occupation
The best thing on a possibly bad injector is to pull them all and have them tested. You can plan out your next step knowing what you actually have instead of spending money on a guess.

josephny

The best thing on a possibly bad injector is to pull them all and have them tested. You can plan out your next step knowing what you actually have instead of spending money on a guess.

That makes perfect sense but I don't know how to test them nor do I have someone local who can do that.

I'd much rather replace the injectors and keep my fingers crossed that it's not engine work that is needed.

Thanks!

josephny

I discovered that the breather tube (AKA blow by tube, I think?) is where the oil and smoke are coming from.

Quite a lot of both.

I changed all the filters (oil, fuel, air) and it's still doing it.

From googling I see that it could be leaky rings. Anything else (less expensive) it could be? Or something I can check to further troubleshoot?

Thank you!

terex herder

Did someone change the fuel filters and loose prime and think they should start it with a snort of ether?

josephny

I tried filling the fuel filter with seafoam, letting it idle for a couple minutes, then turning it off and letting the seafoam clean stuff.

Didn't fix the problem.

I'm replacing the injectors today.

Sure hope that fixes it because I'm running out of random things within my capability and price range to try.

BTW, removing the oil filler cap while running did not reveal any pressure coming out.

So, if oil and smoke are coming out of the breather tube but no pressure at the oil filler cap, what does that mean is likely going on inside?

John C.

Occupation
Since you are going to change the injectors anyway, just do it and let us know what happens. We are curious.

There can be multiple issues going on and that may have happened in the past. Focus on now and what is actually wrong with the engine.

terex herder

Turbo can go out and pressurize the sump. Disconnect the turbo return line from the block. It won't leak much in the time it takes to see if that is the problem.

josephny

Well, after many hours of disassembling everything I have discovered that the new injectors I waited a week for are the wrong type.

But, injector number 1 was wet all around it's outside.

The injectors in place read:

Brasil

Kdal

220 bar

59p42

30 or 80

Anyone know where to get these (or a compatible alternative) quickly?

Thanks!

Dave Neubert

Coolant in crank case could cause excusive blow by look at oil filler cap and see if there is any condensation on it or if it looks milky