• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D353 counter bore.

gary808

Occupation
operator,maintanence ,fabricator
So we're trying to sort out our d353 spacer plate deck. #4 cylinder deck is in terrible shape.
The bright side is it looks to have been cut and counter bore inserts installed on that cylinder and few other cylinders.
is there a standard for these? Or are they a custom job by who ever did it?
Also what would be a safe way to remove the insert?

I'll try to post a pic
But I've been having uploading to the site recently

Cmark

If it's a spacer plate block, the aim is to get the top deck flush. Cat made inserts for a time, then went to loose shims. Your post suggests that your block has had inserts fitted. I can probably dig up something with the part numbers for the Cat inserts, but be aware that I've seen blocks reclaimed with custom inserts. Not an inferior solution, just that the Cat inserts won't necessarily be a drop-in.

Using shims, the procedure is to cut the counterbore until you get full cleanup, measure the depth of the cut then select shims to suit. Inserts are a little more tricky in that you need to measure the insert and then cut the counterbore depth to suit. If you accidentally go over, you have to start again with the next thickest insert.

gary808

Occupation
Cmark thanks for the info. That's what I'm worried about. Having some custome made insert in the block. It's a spacer plate motor but it's been repaired on cylinder 1,2,4,6 by inserts.
If you could possibly find those cat part numbers that would be a great help.

I'm assuming best possible action here is to remove the spacer and either locate or have one made up to fit the existing cut. Or would it be possible to cut the spacer down in place and add a shim to correct it?
Thanks, gary.

Cmark

There are two insert part numbers; 8N6938 measuring 0.0628" - 0.0636" and 8N6939 measuring 0.1278" - 0.1286".
If the insert has enough material left and is a good tight fit in the block, I don't see why you can't machine it and add a shim.

gary808

Occupation
Thank you so much for the info. I just measured ours and they are a match on the 0.1278x 0.1286

I wonder if they still sell these.

Thanks again for the help.

gary808

Occupation
Shoot I jumped the gun and in my haste I measured the line the liner sits on. The outer ring shows 0.275 aprox width and 0.30 tall. These are probably a custom job.

gary808

Occupation
Thanks for the info. I ended up welding onto the ring to shrink it out. It was far to erroded. The counter bore cut is still perfect. I'll try to clean up the counter bore and get a good measurement of it.
I'll try post pics from my computer.
I can't seem to upload from my phone.

gary808

Occupation
Our block is also stamped e387 KM
any idea what thay references?

gary808

Occupation
You mean stamped like a Serial Number or cast into the block..?
Some one removed the tags on the engine and stamped the engine serial and stamped that above the serial. Also ground down the last 3 digits on the engine block part number and stamped it.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
gary808,
A bit off topic but with what has been on the news the last few days are you on the big island? Hope you and all are safe.

gary808

Occupation
Been having trouble posting pics on here from my phone. I'll try from my computer.

The lava has stalled out for the moment but the lava lake in the crater is still dropping. It's supposidly bellow sea level or close to it. Once it does that it's supposed to back fill with water and will blow it's top.
I think the lava has covered about 100+ acres and burned down 30+ homes. That area was unstable the whole time and was always classified as lava zone one so it's not to supprsing this happened. The land was once dirt cheap and vacant from the last flow in 55.
Puna geothermal venture has some deep wells right in the path that could rupture from the flow, that might be intresting.
anyhow were 14 miles from the flow ( uphill over the ridge) so it's pretty safe. Tons of people buying land to relocate over here. We have been putting out a lot of bids to rip and pack new lots. It's just a bummer our 9 is in the middle of a total rebuild.
I might be buying a running td25c that's running to get some jobs done in the mean time. Our 30 ton excavator and d7 are just to slow.
Ohh the earth quake was pretty intense, supposidly we might be in for a bigger one.
Sorry if my wall of words has plot holes, I'm about 5 beers in.

gary808

Occupation
On the overal size caliper pic you have to minus .4 so it’s 7.075”879D4D61-D1C4-4A8F-85E3-3BB5B35BEC09.jpeg3B8BDC28-951C-457B-9B3E-3DFFF402DC15.jpeg5F09FF87-BDF5-4BEF-BDAC-F194FB217050.jpeg

gary808

Occupation
So good news is I tracked down a company that makes this ring. They have the same ring listed. We can either fit it and then do the final cut or they can finish cut it and it should be a exact fit.
They make counter bore rings for the top and bottom of a ton of engines and also custome make rigs for custome jobs.

Vixin industries out of california.

gary808

Occupation
Quick question? Would anyone know the bore size on the deck of the block that accepts the liner seal?
That’s the last measurement we’re trying to get. All our bores are a bit fldifferent and we’re gonna use the smallest measurement.
But the factory spec would be the ideal size to go back to.