• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D31A 17 Ran Out of Deisel

Renegaid

idiot that i am, got too busy to notice, but she started losing power and eventually stopped. Yep out of deisel. i did the normal routine. replaced the fuel filter (filled with deisel). broke the injectors loose one at a time and turned the engine over, to getair out. eventually it started and ran for about 5 minutes. then died again. i repeated the process, but this time, i am not getting anything! not even air/fuel out of any of the individual injectors. might their be another bubble? i hit the manual prime pump 100-200 times, still no fuel coming out of the injectors at the head.

please send ideas. have not dont this before, thought i had solved the issue, but it came back worse! is that normal? i have never run it our of fuel before so this is new to me. thanks so much guys!!

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
You may not have run out of diesel the first time , rather the problem you have now is what stopped it . Check the line for banjo filters . They get blocked enough to let you start but not enough to use the machine . Check Fuel cap to .

Delmer

Running low on fuel sucks all the garbage out of the bottom of the tank. Don't ask me how or why, it just does. Assuming you have a priming pump, it should be easy to find where your plug is. The banjo bolt is usually on the inlet to the transfer pump, pointing straight down, so very well hidden unless you know where to look. Remove the bolt, look inside the bolt, unscrew and clean the screen.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall there is a strainer basket underneath the fuel tank. There is a fuel shut off valve and a drain valve there for sure. The valves are open when the handle is in line with the fuel line that is connected to it. There will also be a banjo bolt on the suction side of the hand priming pump. There is a small strainer inside that banjo bolt. Shut off the fuel at the tank and then remove the bolt to keep the diesel in the tank while you have that bolt out.

Renegaid

You may not have run out of diesel the first time , rather the problem you have now is what stopped it . Check the line for banjo filters . They get blocked enough to let you start but not enough to use the machine . Check Fuel cap to .[/QUOTE

thank you! will do

Renegaid

Follow those instructions and loosen ALL the lines AT THE INJECTORS at the same time..

@thepumpguyssc - Thank you! so then what? turn the engine over? pump the manual pump 100-200 more times? i should be seeing some deisel coming out them, but i have not yet.

Renegaid

As I recall there is a strainer basket underneath the fuel tank. There is a fuel shut off valve and a drain valve there for sure. The valves are open when the handle is in line with the fuel line that is connected to it. There will also be a banjo bolt on the suction side of the hand priming pump. There is a small strainer inside that banjo bolt. Shut off the fuel at the tank and then remove the bolt to keep the diesel in the tank while you have that bolt out.

@John C thank you! I will look for that banjo bolt - good advise for turning off the fuel in the process.

Renegaid

this is the part i ordered as the old priming pump was worn out. are you suggesting its it one of the screws are a bango bolt?upload_2023-2-21_7-21-37.png

Delmer

@thepumpguyssc - Thank you! so then what? turn the engine over? pump the manual pump 100-200 more times? i should be seeing some deisel coming out them, but i have not yet.

Step by step, does fuel come out of the tank? does fuel get to the priming pump? does fuel get through the filters and to the injection pump? do you have all the air out of the injection pump and only fuel coming out? Then, loosen the injector lines at the injectors and crank until you get no more bubbles there (reasonably).

Every one of those transfer pumps I've seen on Japanese engines had a screen inside the inlet banjo bolt. Easy to check if you know where it is. If you don't understand "banjo bolt" search it, it's the fitting that is the banjo, the bolt head looks normal, but it's hollow and has a port out the side, like some brake lines. These wonderful bolts have a screen screwed INSIDE the bolt, very easy to plug up.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The parts books don't show the screen inside the bolt and if you need a new screen you have to buy the bolt. I haven't seen where you get the banjo bolts with the pump.

Renegaid

Step by step, does fuel come out of the tank? does fuel get to the priming pump? does fuel get through the filters and to the injection pump? do you have all the air out of the injection pump and only fuel coming out? Then, loosen the injector lines at the injectors and crank until you get no more bubbles there (reasonably).

Every one of those transfer pumps I've seen on Japanese engines had a screen inside the inlet banjo bolt. Easy to check if you know where it is. If you don't understand "banjo bolt" search it, it's the fitting that is the banjo, the bolt head looks normal, but it's hollow and has a port out the side, like some brake lines. These wonderful bolts have a screen screwed INSIDE the bolt, very easy to plug up.

thank you, Delmer. I will check each of those steps indivdually as well as the bango bolts. thanks again all!

Puffie40

If you are not getting fuel through your bleeding procedure, then something has plugged your lines. Pump your fuel tank out, then leave enough to test the flow of the fuel lines.

First place I would check is the pipe fitting coming from the fuel tank - I had a Farmall with fuel starvation issues, and finally pulled a small pine cone stuck in the outlet pipe. Work your way down the line to the engine, checking each joint for flow.

Renegaid

You may not have run out of diesel the first time , rather the problem you have now is what stopped it . Check the line for banjo filters . They get blocked enough to let you start but not enough to use the machine . Check Fuel cap to .

thank you! what is there to check on the fuel cap? its tight, but i am not sure what else i may be checkin for? thanks again.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
thank you! what is there to check on the fuel cap? its tight, but i am not sure what else i may be checkin for? thanks again.
Check your vent in the cap, if it's plugged the fuel can't flow after a little bit, the pump pulls a vacuum in the tank.