• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3 over heating issues

Delmer

I hope you're draining the water overnight if it's getting close to freezing. The longer this goes, the less likely the previous owner has any obligation to help out, if he did when you first added water. If I was the seller, and I had this thread describing how it was operated, I sure wouldn't want to do anything either.

Yes, change the oil as soon as you get it hot. Go to CAT and get SOS oil sample kit and take a sample when you change the oil. Run it with rainwater until you know it's holding coolant, but drain it after use. Watch the valve cover and/or dipstick for condensation/chocolate. And see what the oil test shows. Make sure the temp gauge is working, and confirm that it's full every so often.

rasorbackqq

All good suggestions. I am watching the temps at night . Not been under 5 deg c yet. Had a guy over yesterday that according to him he was driving a D3 when he was in diapers. And there he was yesterday driving it again while still wearing diapers..
I am 2 hrs from the Cat dealer so the oil test kits not going to be soon I am not thinking.. I'm assuming there is a drain cock on the rad near bottom someplace. Buddy that drove the D3 said it was a great dozer . Everything worked as it should. We did loosen the tracks as were way to tight.

Bluox

What is an SOS oil sample kit . SOS???
You don't need a oil sample ,if you have water in oil it will be milky.
Pull the oil plug on cold engine ,if you have water it will be on bottom of oil.
SOS scheduled oil sampling.
Bob