1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

D 8 k

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by catdw20, Jan 24, 2016.

1. catdw20

catdw20 Member

We bought D 8 K.The previous owner has ben running 15-40 motor oil in trans.I think its not right because of condensation in trans.anyone know anything about it?

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Powershift transmission or direct drive...?

3. RedlineDrainage

RedlineDrainage Active Member

drainage contractor
    We've always been told run 30 weight and nothing else in our d8k

4. jwest75801

jwest75801 Well-Known Member

Owner operator
    To4 is what cat is saying to upgrade to.

5. catdw20

catdw20 Member

It is power shift .I have always used 30wt in all of my p.s.dozers and scrapers and have never heard of 15-40 in p.s. transmisions. just asking for other opinions. Thanks!

6. oregon96pd

oregon96pd Well-Known Member

Does a k model have a wet flywheel housing? If it does there may be a reason they were running motor oil in the trans......just an idea.

7. catdw20

catdw20 Member

Not close to tractor to get ser.#It is powershift .

8. Old Magnet

Old Magnet Senior Member

Original engine lube oil was straight SAE30 with recommendation of SAE40 over 90 deg. F.
    Transmission, bevel gear, steering clutches was SAE30 now would be TDTO (T0-4) SAE30 spec.
    Finals were SAE50 now would be TDTO (TO-4) SAE50 spec.
    Do not use engine oils in Transmission Drive Train applications.

9. catdw20

catdw20 Member

Thank you for information thought 15-40 was not right now I know I will change it tomarrow.Thanks again!