• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D 8 k

RedlineDrainage

Occupation
drainage contractor
Any input on a d8K? We like the idea of available parts and the fact they are simpler to work on than new dozers that are all electronic.

lantraxco

Can't kill them really. Hundreds of old 8K's in dismantling yards not to mention all the aftermarket parts available. Might use a bit more fuel at the end of the day, but diesel is still cheaper than interest on payments, yeah?

koecon

Occupation
Heavy equipment consultant
I agree the D8K is a great machine! Just
be sure to at least oil sample all compartments
before you buy. The trans,torque,steering
clutches and final drives can be very expensive
to repair.

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
Wonder what kind of a weekly or monthly rate one could get for an 8K these days. They were some machine in their day. Great push tractors where a 9 couldn't stand up.

TomA

I would stick with an H. The K was one of those models where they had maxed out the horsepower to the point where liner problems were common and they woud tear up finals. The H held up better.

DPete

I had 2 late ones, 77V 17604 & 18843, both were good machines, any tractor that old you are likely to repair hopefully not until it's made some dollars. As mentioned they enjoy fuel but for the most part will deliver the work too. Your states air policy is something to inquire about, here in Ca. the unregulated engines are a dying breed

450 Bron

Are you planning on doing dozer work or installing drainage plow and using it to plow pipe? We have a d8k we use for dozer work. i feel that machine in our fleet is like having an ace up your sleve when you need it. The carco winch comes in handy helping our drainage plows through tough spots. But we run a 450 and a 550 Bron drainage plow and they are a tough machine to beat on the drainage side of things........ What do you expect this machine to do for you?

grandpa

;)Boy Nige, I usually agree with you, but I have an ol 8k and its been running along for 25 years now with regular servicing,,, the only parts have been cutting edge's and tracks.... how could you ever beat that? But then again I bought a D6c new... s/n 12511 and the only work I had to do to it is replace a worn out radiator.... Cat prolly overbuilt their machines in that era....

Tinkerer

If it does not have a cab, but the four post rollover protection, replace the rubber bushings on the bottom of the posts as soon as the d##m things starts to rattle. Other wise you will be very hard of hearing in a short time. The one thing I didn't care for was the huge muffler on top of the hood. After a while you get used to it sitting there in your view. They are awesome dozers though.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
;)Boy Nige, I usually agree with you, but I have an ol 8k and its been running along for 25 years now with regular servicing,,, the only parts have been cutting edge's and tracks.... how could you ever beat that? But then again I bought a D6c new... s/n 12511 and the only work I had to do to it is replace a worn out radiator.... Cat prolly overbuilt their machines in that era....
Grandpa, maybe you're right. All my experience is in the 24/7/365 world of mining and in that world the D8K was definitely not the best thing since sliced bread, it was right on the edge reliability-wise. We were very concerned when the D8L came out but after the first time I ran one I turned to my boss and said "pension all our 8K's off right now and get a fleet of these" ........ we did, and never looked back. I suppose before chiming in with my 2c I should have asled the OP what work he was planning on doing with the tractor. Quite frankly if anoyne wanted to stay away from electronic machines I'd "upgrade" and go for either an 8N or a 9N and have the benefit of the high-drive without all the electronics.

grandpa

My thoughts on the D8L was.,, wow what a tractor.... but I have to move mine from time to time so I never got one. Lots of horsepower along with the weight. Then they made the N series, I was under the understanding that that was a tad underpowered.... and the R series was getting closer to being back on track.. thus I will keep the old K as she don't owe me and I can still move her relatively easy. Grandpa

Nige

The 8L was a bit of a throwback. Cat realised soon after introducing it that there was a huge horsepower hole between and the 7F. At the next model update the 8L became the 9N and everything else moved up one, plus the 8N wss introduced to fill the hole. That's why I suggested either an 8N or a 9N depending on how much HP the OP was looking for. Neither have any electronics.

DPete

Really not fair to compare the 8L to an 8K when the 8L was a detuned 9 with an 8 sticker on the tank

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Hey fellers, did any of the early high-tracks come out with "conventional" clutch/brake steering . . . and Nige when you say the 8N and 9N have "no electronics" does that go for the engine as well?

Cheers.

Nige

Really not fair to compare the 8L to an 8K when the 8L was a detuned 9 with an 8 sticker on the tank
Don't really agree with that. The 8L was the official replacement for the 8K. The 9L was the replacement for the 9H. Only after they were on the market did Cat realise the "horsepower hole" they'd left in between the 7F and the 8L. They fixed that later by bringing in the 8N and "upgrading" the 8L, 9L, & 10 to 9N, 10N, and 11N respectively.

Yair . . . Hey fellers, did any of the early high-tracks come out with "conventional" clutch/brake steering . . . and Nige when you say the 8N and 9N have "no electronics" does that go for the engine as well?

Cheers.
None whatsoever. A "complete electronics-free zone", both of them........