• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D 5 H PARKING BRAKES

dozr

Occupation
excaving
D5H BRAKES SEEM TO BE ON A LITTLE HAVE CHECKED LINKAGE THEY ARE FREE WOUNDER IF THEY HAVE SEALS IN BRAKE VALVE LIKE THE RESOLER VALVE IN HYL VALVE

dozr

Occupation
excaving
NO REPLY I MUST HAVE HAVE ONE OF A KIND THANKS FOR LOOKING THOUGHT NIGE COULD GIVE INFORMATION ON WHY SEALS IN SUCH HIGH PRESS AREA DID NOT SEE THIS ON OLDER DOZER

Welder Dave

Don't use all capitals, it is considered yelling. Have a little patience waiting for a response(s). People aren't sitting around just waiting for you to post a question.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
OK did not know that not computer friendly thanks. saw 48 views wonder what was up

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
OK did not know that not computer friendly thanks. saw 48 views wonder what was up
Well if you have been here enough to know about Nige you should know that one if not the most important detail was left out of your posts.

What's that you ask, simple it's the serial number! See over on SIS there are 10 different serial number prefixes and who knows how many running changes in each of those.

And next it would help to know when this "problem" started and what if anything has been done to the machine recently!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Thanks Ken.
To the OP - not wanting to cause offence, but when I saw a post that appeared to be yelling in a foreign language (because I sure as Hell couldn't understand it despite having lived & worked in AL at one time) with no Serial Number, no symptoms, no details of how the problem developed or what had been tried so far, etc, etc, I pretty much thought "why bother?"

Sometimes it appears as though social media has created a generation of posters who want instant answers - "My machine is doing this, what do I need to do to fix it.?" Heavy equipment diagnostics doesn't work like that. If you want an example, read through the six pages of this thread....

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-299d-wont-move.77979/

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sometimes it appears as though social media has created a generation of posters who want instant answers - "My machine is doing this, what do I need to do to fix it.?" Heavy equipment diagnostics doesn't work like that. If you want an example, read through the six pages of this thread....

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-299d-wont-move.77979/

You know I was thinking about that thread myself, was glad to hear that guy appears to have finally found a solution to at least most of his problems. There were a few times I thought he was going to give up but he did keep slugging away. Even if in the end he had to call the Cat man to find the solution to the biggest problem!

dozr

Occupation
excaving
thank every one to tell you a little about me i have worked with or on tractors all my life i am 64 years old stated with d69u dw15 d6c i own d5b two d5h 200-5 komatsu track hoe 672 jhon deere scaper have fixed all them i have 4 r model macks now serial number is 3md 442 i wish i new as much about computer as eq the machine is runing hot rad cleaned have final and brakes out of tractor now found noting wrong have contol valve out have ckecked brake presser 300 both sides book said 400+ or- 22 with no lever pulled 33 + or- 6 with lever pulled all way back i have 10 pound on right brake 0 on left brake again i am sorry

dozr

Occupation
excaving
as i said levers are free even took park lever off and manuial worked it the prolem started all at once no metal in filter at all machine has 13000 hrs trans build twice last time cat at tune of 15000 dollars machine runs fine now like i said seems like brakes in on alittle thought was old rollers and tracks but just put all new under carrage on tractor did not help that iswhy i have pulled finial cluches and brakes on left side had not every done anythig to them

dozr

Occupation
excaving
Did not know there was so many school teacher on this site. last time i did one she liked it and made me do it over. Thought i was among fiends of hard knots. I know we will all get put in our rightful place some day. Thank you each an every one,from bottom of my heart.

Nige

Don't take this the wrong way but the way you write is hard to understand at times.

From what you're saying you have a service manual which is good. First up, have you done the adjustment procedures for all the steering clutch and brake linkages including the one for the parking brake.? By that I don't mean just measure stuff, I mean take everything apart and rebuild it all from scratch to the correct adjustments as specified by the book using new pins, clevises, etc, and lubricating all the pivots while doing that.?
You have a tractor that is 30+ years old and I'm willing to bet that no-one has ever touched those linkages since it was set up on the line at the factory. Unless those linkages are spot on there is no point in contemplating to even try to adjust pressures or to diagnose the system any further.

I agree your 300psi as measured is low. Do you have any idea how accurate is the gauge you are using.? Have you tried measuring pressures with a different gauge just to confirm your numbers.?

dozr

Occupation
excaving
I agree with you my writing is not good have never had to do it much. Thanks brand new gauge my old one was bad, filled gauge from napa. Checked all linkages even unhooked park brake worked manual. As said i have control valve at cat, i had it build in oct 1996 look for problem with low presser on transmission, would not take gear when warm, problem was aluminum pistons in trans had heated and cooled to size that would not let seals seal any more. we are also resealing left clutch and brake, will run more test when we get it back where we can transmission pump is 3 grand. Thanks again for all help. There was only a little ware on brake plates replacing them to put everything right. then try again.

Nige

I get what you're saying about it being a brand new gauge and you're obviously assuming that it's good, but just to be on the safe side I'd check it with another gauge, preferably one that's known to be good based on previous performance. I've said it many times, when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME.

From what you've said my best suggestion is to completely disassemble the brake/steering clutch/parking brake linkage, rebuild it with all new clevises and rod ends and readjust it as a first step.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
Ok when we get it back going will find another gauge,an know about assuming you are right.Thanks again, and will let you know what we find.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
ok back to work on d5h will see if works now will let you know

dozr

Occupation
excaving
just got back going, i think you were right nige linage to park brake, cause after control valve build we had to adjust a little. will know more when get

dozr

Occupation
excaving
well still not fixed, can not ajust parking break and now i have a shift problem,can wiggle parking break lever and it will take gear at less than wide open, but idel down and will not take gear again. talked to cat that went thought control valve, they said they thought valve needed to come back to them, so i talked them to send tec to help see if that is the case while still on tractor so maybe when he comes we will come- up with problem, and get fixed.

dozr

Occupation
excaving
we send the valve back to cat and they did not clock the shaft in the park brake right, fixed that and put on tractor and every thing is well, my how a little problem can turn in to nightmare, but then it is halloween, is it not. ha ha thanks for all the help.