• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cylinder rebuild cost at local shop

kb9nvh

So the dipper cylinder on my deere 310d backhoe needed rebuilt so just figured I'd avoid the hassle and pay up to have the local tractor shop do it. Rebuild kit was 100 bucks... Labor.. 400 bucks. Total 500.. Holy crap... Is that a normal price or is that aBout 200 bucks too much?

crane operator

I don't think that's out of line at all for price. Now that you know what it costs, you can decide whether you want to do the next one yourself. $500 sounds about right to me.

Vetech63

So the dipper cylinder on my deere 310d backhoe needed rebuilt so just figured I'd avoid the hassle and pay up to have the local tractor shop do it. Rebuild kit was 100 bucks... Labor.. 400 bucks. Total 500.. Holy crap... Is that a normal price or is that aBout 200 bucks too much?
You got a gift. You should buy the guy a 12 pack.

kb9nvh

Ok guys.. Thanks for your responses.. I will definitely try it myself next time.. Undoing the big bolt is the only hard/impossible part from what I've seen. My son in law did his swing cylinders himself on his 580k in an afternoon.. Smaller cylinder though. You guys make me feel better about what I paid.. Thanks.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
$500 is a very fair price here as well including the seal kit.

No way in hell I'd tackle that cylinder to save $400. No telling how much the time, skint knuckles, trips to china freight, cussing and the divorce proceedings would cost when I finally got that cylinder resealed.

crane operator

I’ve got to adjust my prices. I charge by the hour and am certain I’ve never charged that much to repair a cylinder. I’m obviously leaving some money on that table.

A lot of shops end up charging a environment fee, and a shop supplies fee. There may be some honing involved in this particular cylinder also, which we don't know about because we didn't see or pay the invoice. I could see a shop being $125/hr and by the time they get it on the bench and do some honing, etc. I could see there being 3 billable hours.

kb9nvh

He did say he had trouble getting the bolt off. And he used a giant pipe wrench to take off the cap instead of the tool for it... So my nice yellow cylinder has big gouges on it now... Whatever I guess.

Tinkerer

He did say he had trouble getting the bolt off. And he used a giant pipe wrench to take off the cap instead of the tool for it... So my nice yellow cylinder has big gouges on it now... Whatever I guess.
Pipewrench ??? Very unprofessional !
I had a shop do that to one of my cylinders. The gland looked like a dam gear from the bite marks.
He never saw me again.
I was so pizzed off I bought used cylinder and never used that chewed up disaster.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A big pipe wrench used to be the only way to get some gland nuts loose. The phony spanners and minimum notches in the gland were not sufficient to handle the stress of removing the gland that was put on like it was going to be sent to the moon.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
We had to repack the main boom cylinder on our Gradall 534D-6. Our guys R&R'd the cylinder and I had the easiest job taking it to the cylinder shop and picking it up.

A little over $600 for parts and labor. I thought it was a little steep but I'm not willing to tackle it to save $200, we can make that in the field doing what we do in an hour or two. It's just a business decision.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
And what if it needs more advanced work than a simple seal kit? If it is already in the hyd shop, they are equipped to carry out the work. If it is in your backyard, you have to deliver it in a pile to the shop with your head hanging down. Just a thought, I know every situation is unique.

1466IH

Thats fair considering I've spent days tried to get a head out of a cylinder before
I have drilled, tapped and bolted to aluminum rod guides and welded to steel rod guides many times. On some of the bigger aluminum rod guides I have even cut the cap off the bottom of the barrel and built the cylinder from the end. When you get it back together pull the cylinder all the way out and reweld the end cap back on. Reynolds apron cylinders are especially bad for this. A steel barrel with aluminum rod guide is a recipe for a rebuild nightmare.

Tinkerer

In my case all the dumb azzes had to do was drill new pin holes and use their cylinder bench the way it was designed to be used.
I wasn't allowed to go in their shop, but I could plainly see the cylinder bench.
It was only 4 inch barrel.