• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cyclone Marcia

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
It's good to know you got through it ok. The tail end of the system arrived here about 2hrs ago, and no winds yet, ripper!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Good to see it wasn't as bad as it was predicted. Hurricane season is around the corner for us in the Gulf State area, it's always a toss up.

A question for our friends down under, when these cyclones come on shore do they spawn tornados like they do here? The tornados can be way more devastating in my area than than the hurricane itself but I live a couple 100 miles inland. The hurricanes wreak havoc on the coastal areas.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . CM1995. Just lately there has been discussion about that happening . . . it certainly is not common but there have been some documented cases of small tornados.

We too are about an hour from the coast . . . one of our criteria when we bought the place was to cut down on exposure.

We lived on the Gulf Coast for many years and it always was a worry.

Cheers.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
That gives me the fever.I just rebuilt my Glastron JetFlite and had about a weeks worth of work left when I got sick.I sure hope I can get it back in the water before my days are done.Glad to hear that there was minimal damage in the path of the storm where our friends live.Ron G

Tones

Occupation
Yair. . . It appears there has been considerable damage to centres north of us and we are awaiting reports about the failure of gates on a dam which may have affected a couple of small towns.

Cheers.
Gees Scrub, according to the media its starting to be all to familiar, a-la 2011 Wivenhoe Dam.

Tones

Occupation
That gives me the fever.I just rebuilt my Glastron JetFlite and had about a weeks worth of work left when I got sick.I sure hope I can get it back in the water before my days are done.Glad to hear that there was minimal damage in the path of the storm where our friends live.Ron G

Me to Ron, mines been parked for six years. Every time I intend to get it going the POS machine I own breaks down a gobbles up the boat funds.:Banghead

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Tones .Queenslander Update.

In my #19 post I was just quoting what appeared on the media.

Since then I have made contact with my brother in Yeppoon and he reckons it's a bloody disaster and they are estimating fifty million dollars damage in the Yeppoon village and three billion for Rockampton and the Livingstone Shire.

I wonder why I bother with TV sometimes.

Cheers.

Queenslander

it's a bloody disaster

I'd have to agree with that, and also correct the statement I made on the afternoon of the cyclone, when I said the number of houses unroofed numbered in the tens, not hundreds.
News reports are now saying there are more than 500 homes around Yeppoon and Rocky that have been declared uninhabitable.
Adding to the misery up there, is the difficulty restoring power to thousands of homes and businesses.
Still no reports of serious injuries, that Iam aware of, so that's one good thing to come out of it all.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
Reports last night that Byfield is smashed ( first ones in where ABC reporters "apparently") to bits and they are not getting any help. It also means I guess the forestry in that area will be buggered so after the cleanup is done their jobs are gone

ianoz

I am up the road a bit from Scrubpuller ,we did not get any damage here ,thankfully .
Yesterday i took a skidsteer up to my sisters place at Gracemere ,a little west of Rockhampton.She did not get damage to the house but did have tree branchescome down on shed sand stables ,and a fair few trees on the ground.
Heading up the highwaysaw lots of trees uprooted or just broken off .Each of the small towns up the highway showed damage to house roofs and sheds .Town of Marmoor seemed worst hit ,the Servo {gas station** had the roof over the pumps collapse.
Most of the Yeppoon and Rockhampton Area are without power, They have restored power to the water treament works,and the major shopping centres .But outlying areas like my sisters place have been told 2 weeks before power is restored . . I did not go driving about, ,the streets i drove though to get to my sisters showed mainly trees down .
Coming home saw lots of big Generators heading up the highway ..Not sure how they got though as the Higway is Cut futher south at Gympie .
The Highway west from Gladstone out to Biloelais cut with approaches to a bridge washed away .

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Tones. I missed that report on Byfield, poor buggers your heart goes out to them. ianoz. Good to hear you came through okay mate . . . good to hear some fair dinkum reports.

As mentioned up thread by one of our US friends, unless it's in a major city it tends to be glossed over by the media.

Cheers.

Queenslander

Looks like these small outlying communities are some of the hardest hit.

Town wiped off the map after Tropical Cyclone Marcia

By Lisa Clarke

Forty-five kilometres south of Rockhampton along the Bruce Highway, the tiny central Queensland town of Marmor was all but wiped off the map when Tropical Cyclone Marcia swept through.

Residents say all the attention is focused on Rockhampton and Yeppoon and no one even realises the destruction they have experienced.

Karen Johnson and her partner Robert Holness huddled in the laundry of their home for hours as it was torn apart around them.

A few mangled internal walls are all that still stands; the remnants of their 100-year-old home and many of their personal belongings are strewn across the surrounding fields.

Karen says the experience was harrowing.

"It was coming across the flat sideways, pieces of iron flipping through the paddock," she recalls.

"The roof was vibrating... the front door kept swinging open, we ended up nailing it shut.

"All of a sudden the panels here blew out and gusts of wind were blowing through the roof."

When it was finally safe to come out of the laundry, Karen says she couldn't believe what she saw.

"It was heartbreaking... I actually broke down," she says.

"Some of my Grandmother's stuff is here.

"As long as we're alive and we're ok, we can rebuild."

Karen's partner Robert says the destruction in Marmor has been extreme.

"There are probably 30 houses here, probably half of them have lost roofs," he says.

- Story by Amy McCosker, rural reporter for ABC Capricorn

Marmor QLD 4702 Marcia6.jpg