• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cutting edge angle

indmach

Does anyone know what angle the cutting edge is on a scraper? In other words, if you lay the cutting edge flat on the ground, how many degrees would you raise the back to get the proper cut? I am rebuilding a very old scraper with a hurt mouth.

Shimmy1

Different brands have different angles. I know my Deere pans have a lower angle than the Ashland. I could try and measure them. Just guessing, the Deere pans are about a 60° angle, and the Ashland around 70°.

Welder Dave

I wouldn't think it would be that critical. Being able to hold it a consistent height so it wouldn't dig in too deep would be more important than the specific angle. A shallower angle might load slightly easier.

kcdurtworks

I’ve often wondered this myself. Our cat 621e loads a lot harder then our 621b. Makes me wonder if one floor was ripped out and put back in at one time. Another contractor says his 621bs load a lot easier then his 21gs

indmach

Well, I have never run a scraper before, but I have run loaders for many years, it doesn’t take much bucket angle change to go from a smooth load up, to a quick ditch! That being said, getting the cut started in clay takes a much more aggressive angle than starting in sand, but you still have to drop back on the angle, in clay, once u get the cut started. I was thinking the scraper would follow in those same foot steps? I was hoping someone had a scraper they could measure or knew where I could find a spec on it. I’m at about 10 degrees off flat right now, that looks a little much! Surely there are some blue prints somewhere with parameters?

Welder Dave

The way a scraper is designed is similar to how a grader works. The cutting edge is rigidly supported front and back which is set to limit how much it will dig in. A loader has no front support so if the angle is turned down will keep digging deeper. You can lift up the boom arms but It's almost impossible to get a nice flat surface with the bucket tilted down unless working in very loose material like sand or loam.