• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cute oiled black Cat

surfer-joe

This happened to some folks new home still under construction in Bakersfield a couple of years back. It ruined the lumber in the house, just saturated it with heavy crude. The drilling company only wanted to replace the roof and exterior siding. The interior was still open studs, no dry-wall or nothing else, I think the windows and doors were installed.

The owners took the driller to court and I'm not sure how it all came out.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
That is a real mess and its going to be a bigger mess when people have to give up their house because the soil was contaminated. I feel sorry for the people that just built their new house and it might have to be torn down.

I sure hate to have been that hoe operator that would be a scare of your life with this black stuff squirting at you at the speed of light. It would be even worse for the guys standing in the trench box or near the trench.

Who's ever fault it turns out to be its going to cost big $$$$. I hope the excavation contractor doesn't get blamed for it if they do then they might aswell give up the company.

ILMChris

I'd hate to be on that crew for sure. In my town they have a hard time with natural gas lines. The policy now is that the excavator gets the entire bill, even before an investigation is finalized.

Of course we also have a lot of sewer line breaks...though most of those aren't operator related.

alco

Who's ever fault it turns out to be its going to cost big $$$$. I hope the excavation contractor doesn't get blamed for it if they do then they might aswell give up the company.

I'm just curious to know who you think should be blamed, if not the contractor who dug up the line?

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I have a feeling its going to come down to Kinder Morgan who supplied Burnaby city and the excavation contractor with the wrong info.

If KM has had cases of them not knowing where their pipe lines are accurately then this isn't going to be any different.

alco

I think I would prefer to wait and see what comes out of this instead of jumping to conclusions.

I also don't think Kinder Morgan's history really plays into this since it was only very recently they took over Terrasen Pipelines who owns this particular line. It's not like they were around to record where the line was in 1953 when it was built.

Brian

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I know even with water lines in this area have been found that nobody thought they would be there.

The aslong as the B.C. tax payers are not on the hook for the bill its all what matters to me. This accident was the first for B.C. and some lessons learned over the accident.

Its the residents in the area that will have to deal with the headaches.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
We all end up paying for this in some manner or other, either through higher insurance costs or higher fuel prices to recoup the costs of cleanup. I have to laugh when we see these big awards in lawsuits, we all pay for them in higher consumer prices.