• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

custom haul or Buy?

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Hey Guys:
Got some questions for you, kinda hoping to hear some straight talk.
Last year I started a small Ex Business as a sideline to my farming operation, I've been doin alright, makin payments and all, but my question is this.
When I bought my Cat 953 for (weight 34,700) my operation (and for maybe helping out the neighbors) I did not buy a trailor or truck as I have no CDL and for other reasons. I've been using custom haulers to come and move it for me, but lately the jobs have gotten too small to absorb the costs of moving so I have had to charge it out. Needless to say customers are not happy and Hauler is too far from me to move cost effectively. He charges $110/hr.
I have a friend who has a tractor, and he said he would move it for me if I bought the drop deck. Is this a good Idea asumeing that all riders for insurance are taken care of and everything is legal? The friend lives a lot closer and all.
my second question is this, I've read a lot about three axle trailers, which is preferred for Dozers? drop deck or three axle trailer behind dump truck?
I have been doin a lot of thinking on getting the CDL and well with my farming operation, the course is hard for me to take because of my time away from the cows. Currently I operate in a fashion where I move the machine and then the next day go and do the job. (I've been doin land clearing and non hazadous demolition)

dozerdave

Hi Monte 1255,

If there is enough equipment to be moved in your area maybe you could purchase a good lowbed to put behing your friends tractor and move other peoples equipment as well as your own. Just a thought on a rainy day.

rigandig

I'm not sure about the frost laws there in Mn, but you need to consider that in your decision. For the summer months, a tag along would work, just make sure it has the right weight rating. A better option might be a tri-axle lowboy to have your friend pull. That way you're not pidgeon holed with just being able to pull a 953. And that should cover you in the months when frost laws are in effect. Definitely have a close look at ththe frost laws and how that will efect what you are trying to do.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
yeah our frost laws are pretty strict here in MN, as for extra loads I guess it would be possible to check with other Excavating Companies, I'll have to talk with my friends first and then let them know it is available if this is the case. I haven't yet begun really to explore the price options much yet. I'll get back to you

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
DozerDave:
where are you at in the Phillipines?
Ever been to Labrador, Pangasinan province? Bagio? San Fabian?
Been there a few times, My wife is fillipino.

carogator

if you think about hauling other peoples equipment, you need to check into the proper hauling authority. your states public service commission or the FMSCA. ask at a state weigh station on the interstate. it could get complicated.