• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Custom F N R shift lever

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
The shift cable had run its useful life as known by the tremendous force to operate the F N R control. Took the cable loose from the machine a 8042 Terex Square Shooter and found the part number, looked in the parts book, same number...... called & ordered and - "Yes we can get that, it will be at least two weeks". Did not need the machine but thinking ahead in the event that I may need it, I schemed an idea and shu nuff needed the machine first thing Monday (learned that late Friday night)..
Had to work a long day on Saturday so on the quiet Sunday yesterday, I fab'd up this bolt on a piece of rod. Good thing is pull it fwd and that is Forward, push it back and sim.

Just gotta make sure it is actually in neutral before stepping off LOL.

Will be glad when the cable comes in from the dealership, till then I am the only operator and the crew was not here when I did this to unload a flatbed truck with a nice lathe and some other finery's, as they think the machine is inop till the cable gets here.

L8R

IMG_6223.jpg IMG_6222.jpg IMG_6221.jpg

crane operator

10 years from now, this forklift will be on a auction, with this for a shift lever. There will also be a box of "misc. parts" with a shift cable in it. :)

Necessity is the mother of invention. As well as "any port in a storm......"

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Go to your local boat shop, they may have a cable on the shelf.;)

icestationzebra

Reminds me of the time the clutch cable broke in our 4WD Allis. Dad called the dealer - yep we have that. Drove to the dealer and somebody had put the wrong cable in the part bin - ugh. And of course it was the middle of planting season. So he took off the floor plate and rigged up a 3ft bar. Was loud and dusty but got us through two days till the new cable showed up. :)