• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cure for banged up ROPS?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Any one else tempted at times to remove the ROPS from a skid steer to cure the dummies that run them from hitting things? Actually might not cure them but would weed out the guys that think they can use the ROPS as a battering ram!

The there is the Case 1845 C that both tilt rams got bent from hitting things. One bad enough to cause the piston to gouge the cylinder inside. :Banghead.

Both cylinders had new rams installed just last fall. Of course when the operators were asked what they might have hit NO ONE had any idea of what there could be around the quarry that they could have hit. Must have been a bad wind storm the night before and the wind bent them!

I've had the parts to fix the Case for about a month, boss said don't rush into the job the longer it sits in the shop the longer before it's broke again! Personally if I had my way the operators who used it the last couple days before the damage would be using hand shovels to clean out under the plant till I got time to fix it!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Sounds like you have an operator issue not a ROPS issue.:cool2

grandpa

And thats exactly how they got bent,, by going in under the plant until the rams hit the frame of the plant. Weld a poker on the plant that will hit them about eye level... should take care of the problem.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
4-pound lump hammer suspended in the roof of the cab triggered by Grandpa's poker, pivoted so it drops right on the operator's head..........

I like the way you guys think! That was the idea behind removing ROPS make the new operator clean up the remains of the last one. Eventually someone would get the hint!

Might have something to do with my father also being from Minn. Hill City area

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I've suggested the same thing many times for some of the numb-nuts operators (although TBH they are more lever-pullers than operators) we have working here. A sharp blow to the head seems to the the only way of getting their attention.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I've suggested the same thing many times for some of the numb-nuts operators (although TBH they are more lever-pullers than operators) we have working here. A sharp blow to the head seems to the the only way of getting their attention.

Actually what is even more effective is hitting them in the paycheck. That gets their attention. I had one run over my near new Husky concrete saw with a mini ex. Safe to say that wont happen again.

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
You could make them buy their own loader (like they have to buy there own hand tools). They might take a little better care of it.

Tim

robin yates uk

Actually what is even more effective is hitting them in the paycheck. That gets their attention. I had one run over my near new Husky concrete saw with a mini ex. Safe to say that wont happen again.
warn them before they start that avoidable damage is charged directly to them via the wage packet